Are burnouts cool.

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Saw a noob today in his mums 1.0 nothing in the wet managing to pull a burnout in the carpark. I'm sure he imagined he looked really cool but I thought he looked rediculous.

Do people really imagine that burnouts in the wet in mums shopping car are cool?

Then I started thinking - when does a burnout become cool? If there was a burnout competition how would you judge it?

Hmmm tough debate this. Here's what I think....

Any small car doing a burnout regardless of weather conditions and amount of bhp under the bonnet is just not cool. Nope sorry, but thats just silly and embarrasing.

Proper car with big engine, in a controlled enviroment, with the ability to lock the non driven wheels (if RWD with a brake line lock or FWD just put the hand brake on), just sitting on the spot, spinning the wheels and smoking everyone out. Now thats cool.

Hre's an example. Citroen Saxo VTS
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaU1V21xgTo
I'm sorry but its just too silly, Almost like a small weedy bloke trying to be "hard"

And Heres an australian Chrysler Valient.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0myzGAqcECM
Now thats cool. Big muscle shouting "come and have a go if you think you're hard enough". 8)

But this is cooler than cool, its just sub zero. and I ake my hat off to the lad doing it. :shock:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GNB7xT3rNE

Oops Fingers - you just upset Freddie.

That'll teach freddie not to upload his movies to YOUTUBE though!! :lol:

Saxos are cool, but burnouts in public areas, whatever you're driving, aren't. Unless you're filming an action film in a Camaro with big power and a shotgun...

Stick to b-road thrashing and track day excellence, that's what Saxo's rock at 8) :D 8)

Sorry freddie, never ment it like that. What I was trying to say is that I think small cars look silly doing burnouts. But thats just my opinion. :wink: The saxo just appened to be the first clip I came to.

I cant argue with that one. But thats putting the shoe on the other foot. While a fight with a FWD on launch is good fun, a fight with a RWD thats trying, and usually succeeding in getting away from you is proper brown trousers time. :lol:

When i see a big burnout video, i usually cringe thinking of all the tread disappearing from the tyres (and probably fear of the engine going pop in my car)... although i do like a little wheelspin every now and again

Do you do many then? :wink: :lol:

Only messin.

Depending on the situation and location I might agree with that. But at the strip with a high powered car it is necessary to get the tyres hot and sticky. In tesco's carpark it is necessary if you have a teeny willy and need to impress the local school girls. :lol: :lol:

But seriously, this is also a stupid and potentially a dangerouse thing to do. If you are going to do it, do it in the proper places and venues.

Saxos are crap - noisy, torque shy, cramped and uncomfortable things.

If it's all you can afford then I take my hat off to you, but, not for me.

Sorry.

Wow, I don't consider myself a keyboard warrior, and very rarely lose my temper, but how much of an ignorant person can you be?

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but being rude about what is clearly someones pride and joy isn't particularly nice is it? I wrote out my argument on how Saxo's can be better than a 2.2 HDi 406 - but I don't think it's even worth posting if it bring me down to your level.

HDi fun said:
OK - I'll let you have that, please accept my humble apology. It's good to find someone as opinionated as myself :)

He did apologise Freddie and you have every right to post a defence but thanks for not creating a punchup!

I agree that large cars are compromised by weight, and diesel engines don't help that cause, even if they go like missles.

Please do post your intended reply, I will read and consider it laterally and sensibly.

I did, in fact, post an apology.

P.

So what do our newer members think about burnouts cool or not? Where are burnouts cool and when are they lame? Is it the car, the driver or the location that makes the difference?

So what do our newer members think about burnouts cool or not? Where are burnouts cool and when are they lame? Is it the car, the driver or the location that makes the difference?

Gosh! Nearly a flame war on TC. First one I almost saw :)

Burnouts: When required (drag racing), not cool, just necessary.

If done with your mates and peers and they like that sort of thing, then why not. Hell. they have burnout competitions at drag meets so a lot of people think that it is cool and who am I to disagree. Whatever is your bag, man. Just don't do it in the pub or supermarket carpark please.

When you get old and decrepit[FONT=&quot] l[/FONT]ike me, they look juvenile and silly but, hey, I can remember doing some really daft things that I thought were cool back in the dark ages before mobile phones ;)

Last edited:
i agree, if done in the supermarket car park they are not cool. just annoying. but if done on the strip they are cool-ish, but really they are only done to raise the tire temp an get them nice an sticky for more traction. they are done for a reason. for extra grip just doing them for the sake of doing them isnt for me. imo if you can afford a new set of tires every few days cos you constantly do burnouts dont you think that you could be using that money for something constructive not just trying to show off.

If done by a 600bhp Mustang as it pulls away on the drag strip then its very cool...done by a stupid little s**t in his mum's 1.2 Corsa then it's not cool!

If done by a 600bhp Mustang as it pulls away on the drag strip then its very cool...done by a stupid little s**t in his mum's 1.2 Corsa then it's not cool!

If done by a 600bhp Mustage as it pulls away, it could well lose to the Corsa! The burnout is done before the race :)

if the car has to be held back then it just aint cool. personally i dont see the point in them, other than to warm the tyres for the track / strip. so doing them in carparks them theres no point other than to impres someone

i was looking at the videos that fingers posted up the 1st car needed held back at the start. and thats a light car and pretty powerful for its weight. that is if it is what it says it is

i think im pretty much on the same wave length as most posters on here by saying no there not cool drag racing a necessity to warm tyres to aid in traction but somehow it does seem acceptable with a muscle car a bit of a contradiction i know but it just does to me anyway :amazed:

If you're toting 500+ bhp and want to light up the tyres then a Mustang is a good way to do it.

As far as holding back a 1.3 Astra to achieve the same then that's pointless really.

I don't like wheelspin in FWD cars, it slows you down basically, especially off the line. My car will squeal it's tyres on a dry road in third gear if you push too hard too soon. That, too, isn't cool but gives an idea of what silly torque figures can do. In second you do have to be gentle. First is not so much a problem as it's such a short gear that you're up to 4009+rpm before the turbo's had a chance to react really.

i like the accuracy of you readings 4009+rpm . but i know understand where your coming from currently if i floor it in 2nd in the dry the traction light flashes at me (3rd in the wet) if im not careful. its scary when you see videos of cruises where the cars are being held back until the tyres are smocking
like most things it comes down to the car if your running silly figs then it can look good but in your mums shopping car it doesnt so dont try

I've seen noobs lose control of a burnout, heck I've even seen a pro drag driver lose control whilst doing a burnout.