Alloys

StevieDB9

Road Burner
Car
Ford Focus 1.4
Need help. im looking for a set of alloys for my polo, second hand on ebay, its so hard! :lol:

just want something second hand (cash flow crisis). is it 15" wheels the maximum you can fit before it makes a difference to your insurance premium?

I thought it doesnt matter what size the wheels are, if the wheels are changed from the standard ones, its classed as a modification so it'll alters the insurance, i remember when i had 13" alloys on my AX, cuz they wasnt standard for the car the price changed on my insurance

i think stevie might be right i had set of 18" on my last bmw not standard and the insurance didnt say a thing about them just asked make etc.

the bmw was fitted with standard 18's cos the car was bought with the sport pack.

Any modification to the car should be disclosed to the insurer. If the alloys were the same size as original but cost say an extra £600 it would make the car more attractive to thieves so insurers can argue that they need to be told and would refuse to pay out on a claim if it was not disclosed.

So everything should be disclosed to insurers the question is what will they look favourably on? Generally speaking if the rotational circumference is the same most insurers will not load the premium especially if you accept that if they are stolen they will be replaced with standard wheels. Some even allow wider wheels and larger dimensions but don't be surprised if they ask for an engineers report to confirm that the suspension etc is still perfectly aligned and setup! :wink:

Go with Waynne on this - insurers are more concerned about thief appeal than performance is my experience. Even changing a factory alloy for an aftermarket one of THE SAME SIZE can arouse interest, though could probably knock that aside fairly easily in a court and defend yourself by saying that you simply replaced like with like. After all, no-one cares if your car came with Dunlop tyres and you replaced with Continental or Bridgestone of the same size!

Interestingly I had a query with my insurer over swapping the 15" PEUGEOT alloy things on my 406 (205/60 15V) with 17" PEUGEOT alloy things (225/45 17W). They wanted another 120 quid a year. Guess what, I stuck with the 15" ones. Moreover the insurer charged me precisely nothing to allow a ECu remap from 136 to 192bhp. I suppose a remap is not visible or stealable.

There ya go!