Torque Cars

All you need to know:Crankshafts

Discussion in 'Engine questions' started by obi_waynne, 30 June 2017.

1. obi_waynne

obi_waynne Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Deal, Kent UK
    Car:
    A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
    Last edited: 30 June 2017
  2. TCJBOLDIE

TCJBOLDIE Torque King

Brisbane
    Car:
    JB Starion
    Hi Obi San can you explain what you mean by "short throw pistons" please?

3. obi_waynne

Deal, Kent UK
    Car:
    A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
    A piston that has a short stroke is what I had in mind?

4. TCJBOLDIE

TCJBOLDIE Torque King

Brisbane
    Car:
    JB Starion
    Obi San not wanting to start a war just wanting to clarify things :)

The pistons stroke is determined by the crankshaft so the EXACT same piston can be used in a longer stroke application with a shorter rod length to stop the piston crown @ TDC extending past the top of the block however I would not recommend using shorter rods as that increases the piston skirt side loading .

As an example my motor is a 4G63 (2.0 litre 88mm stroke) stroker where I have installed a 12mm longer stroke crank from a 4G64 motor (2.4 litre 100mm stroke) in a 2.0 block which increases the capacity to 2.3 litres .

To do this the forged pistons fitted to the forged standard length 2 litre rods have the gudgeon pins raised 6mm (1/2 the increased stroke) and unfortunately that has lowered the rod ratio from 1.7 to 1.5 which has limited my redline to 7200 rpms

I have started a new thread "Rod Ratios" for those who want to know more about the subject :)

Last edited: 30 June 2017
    Lunchmoney, obi_waynne and thexav like this.
  5. thexav

thexav Pro Tuner Staff Member

Car:
    2002 Clio 172
    Good article. A picture of the crankshafts would be good comparing flat plane to cross and the floating arm one.

It was quite informative and written simply so I could understand it.

What is crank grinding and knifedging and how does this improve performance?

6. obi_waynne

Deal, Kent UK
    Car:
    A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
    Much appreciated @TCJBOLDIE I'll make the article a little clearer.

@thexav I don't have any pictures to use but I'll ask around and try and get permission to use some pictures from another tuner.