Adding Engine Oil

doony62

Car
Ford Contour SE
Okay if freezing cold oil is added to a hot engine will it damage any parts. I know someone that did and we are having a argument about the effects. Thanks for any info on this!

i know adding cold water to a hot radiator will damage it but never worried about oil. i know in my truck i have taken some out of the garage and put it in a hot truck. temp outside was about 30F and garages wasn't much warmer. Didn't see any negative effects.

I'd never thought of this one. Don't usually need to top up between service visits, and if I do check in manually I do it from cold anyway. But conceivably you could stress some metal components close to the filler cap. Perhaps if you're planning to top off the crankcase keep the oil inside the car so it's at least at room temperature.

why would the oil be freezing cold anyway??
ive never saw oil been kept in a fridge

when a car is serviced, the mechanic (or me)drains the oil when its hot
because the oil is more, how would i say this, watery??
and when its empteyed, they put the new oil in, so no effects should happen, unless oil is kept in the fridge, then i dont know??????????

as hdi said, keep it at room tempeture and you have nothing to worry about
and as hdi also said, check the oil level when the car is cold
oil expands when hot, so first thing in the morning is best as you will get the perfect reading on the dip stick, this is important as too much oil can damage the engiene

Oil doesn't really expand, at least, not by much. The same applies to most liquids.

If you live somewhere very cold (perhaps Sioux Falls is cold, I think it might be so, in South Dakota) then oil stored in an unheated outhouse will be at ambient temperature and therefore very cold.

So chucking in oil at -20 farenheit when the engine block is at 200 farenheit might (and only, might) cause a problem if you were to add it too fast and suddenly chill the camshaft that it's poured over via the filler cap.

It's a good question, and one that I think, between us, we've answered well.

Additionally, my previous car (P11 Primera) specifically had to be checked warm, a few minutes after switch off. Unusual! I've certainly never come across this before. But it never needed any at all over 160,000 odd miles of use so didn't matter anyway

i know what your saying about the engiene been too hot
but oil does expand, not by much as you said
when i service my car, the oil is bang on the mark,
but when the car is warm, the oil is above the max mark

so dooney62, top the oil up when the car is cold, we all agree???
thats your proplem sorted

I think that it's because the oil is all over the engines oil 'corridors' and has not drained down fully. That's why I find Nissan's instruction to check when warm so very vague.

At least left cold overnight then the oil is all at the bottom of the engine.

Again I thank all of you for the good information! Yeh, it is very cold here in Sioux Falls and the oil was in a cold car on a 20 degree day! So just wondering if it did damage any parts, what would they be. Like rods, pistons, ????? Thanks

Sheryl

Hi Doony and welcome. What are Morel Mushrooms? Are they phsychotropic drugs? :lol:

I think you are just talking about a stress of the metal at the worst. It is very unlikely. Dont blacksmiths dip red hot metal in water to harden it. I would think that you have just hardened part of your engine by putting cold oil in it. Plus the oil spreads out in the engine and picks up the heat quickly.

Hi Doony and welcome. What are Morel Mushrooms? Are they phsychotropic drugs? :lol:

I think you are just talking about a stress of the metal at the worst. It is very unlikely. Dont blacksmiths dip red hot metal in water to harden it. I would think that you have just hardened part of your engine by putting cold oil in it. Plus the oil spreads out in the engine and picks up the heat quickly.

Blacksmiths do that yes but i'm sure if you did it more than once it only weakens the metal. I really don't think there would be any problems putting cold oit in. My primera as HDI said needs to be checked when hot an if it needs topping up I do it from hot. An the oil is stored in a garage which gets very cold this time of year....Never caused my car any probs.

Morel Mushrooms are found in the spring by rivers (in wooded areas usually) and are edible not drugs. lol They taste so.....good! They look like a sponge. You can check out several websites on them including www.morelmania.com I go hunting crazy for the few weeks they are out in the spring since they only grow for a limited time in the spring.

Sheryl

Hi Sheryl and welcome to TorqueCars. We've covered some diverse topics before but never mushrooms, other than the morning I found some growing in my cars footwell due to a water leak!:lol:

I can't really add to whats been said. I doubt any noticable damage will have occured. As you pour it would cause a crack noise if anything was going to be damaged.

Morel Mushrooms are found in the spring by rivers (in wooded areas usually) and are edible not drugs. lol They taste so.....good! They look like a sponge. You can check out several websites on them including www.morelmania.com I go hunting crazy for the few weeks they are out in the spring since they only grow for a limited time in the spring.

Sheryl

If you'd damaged rods or pistons then, believe, you'd know about it. As I said, the risk is very very slight at worst.

The engine would be unbelieveably rough and the noise would be imprinted in your mind for evermore.

And a ....... theosairu, theosaruras, thes, vocauluryarist, vokabularest,vacobularast, intellektu, intilectuwal, dang ........ big word user! :lol:

doony, do you get huckleberries up there. I grew up in idaho and have missed them since i moved :(. will eventually get up there during the season, late fall, but haven't been able to yet.

I am not sure if huckleberries grow around here??? I will have to check on that. I know there are wild strawberry, wild plum, and wild raspberry here. I think wild plums make the best jelly! ;)
Sheryl

Morels are lovely. You can't beat wild forest mushrooms. I buy them dried in great big 1kg jars and then rehydrate to ramp up the mushroom flavour in all sorts of dishes. Used together with fresh ones you get a good result.

Forget those silly grey things that the supermarkets flog us. Overpriced and tasteless basically.

if anyone asks what the connection is between engiene oil and mushrooms
now you know the answer

its torque cars and a load of mad men
ha ha

:lol: The connection is: Anyone that has expensive taste and loves mushrooms is bound to like a expensive/classy vehicle! Right?!

:rolleyes:Sheryl