Adding spoilers and wings for aerodynamic enhancement :- You Spoiler all my fun.

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Spoilers & Wings : A single rear wing or spoiler is a pointless addition as a performance enhancement, although it may look cool!

Continue reading... or post your comments below on this article.

I have a manufacturers boot lip on my own trusty chariot, sacrificed it for a carbon fibre version. I think it looks great, subtle and not in your face, there are some huge one's about which are adjustable with regards to the angles etc, which is fine for a track/strip car but not for a road car IMO.

However, I await the input here on this thread from @old-git when it comes to the correct use of spoilers, wings and such like ;)

No pressure, then? :)

Article is a good explanation of the difference between spoliers and wings. People, PLEASE learn the difference!

The only thing I disagree with is that "Wings can start to provide measurable down force at speeds of around 50mph". As soon as air starts to move faster over the top than the bottom of the wing downforce is created and this can be measured. However, you won't notice the effect on a road car until over 70, as stated in the article.