6" of snow here

old-git

Car
Elan & Robin Hood
Just switched Chevy over to 4WD mode. Not so much fun but a damn sight safer and easier to drive.

Not good weather for you guys on wide low profile rubber with longitudinal grooves :) My wife's Turbo Astra has this type of tyre and the car is virtually undrivable up any sort of incline.

A friend bought a set of winter tyres for his Yeti and has been waiting for this weather for weeks :)

Just switched Chevy over to 4WD mode. Not so much fun but a damn sight safer and easier to drive.

Some people have all the luck or the right choice of car!

Not good weather for you guys on wide low profile rubber with longitudinal grooves :) My wife's Turbo Astra has this type of tyre and the car is virtually undrivable up any sort of incline.

I had a chuckle a minute driving home from work late last night!

A friend bought a set of winter tyres for his Yeti and has been waiting for this weather for weeks :)

There are some very sad but no doubt cocky people about who are just double smug right about now!! :bigsmile:

Going back indoors to sulk now! :embarrest:

Tbf the Fiesta is mint in the snow, as was the blue PGT beforehand. With FWD and narrower tyres and the handbrake you pretty much have all the control you want and need, unless you are a retarded driver.

Saaakes I managed it in the RS, uphill, downhill, islands, motorway, sideroads so it makes me laugh when these retards crash or get stuck in perfectly feasible cars. Sharp brakes too so you can't really use them or you just slide!

took my standard stagea out for a grin earlier.

AWD and special snow mode (dont you just love japenese engineering) Absolutely no isuues and muchoo fun

I'm Yet to Nervous to Try the Fiat in Snow its FWD So I'd Imagine it would be ok in snow!

Last edited:
Well Stageas had it in 1966 but it different to yours.

it switches the auto box settings to pull away in 2nd and changes the awd set up to 50- 50 split with an electronic diff lock.

plus ecu is adjusted to cope with above.

Only about 1.5" here but that's enough to make my E39 a right handful at times. Three hundred weight of ballast going in the back tomorrow if it doesn't clear up.

And if it gets half as bad as December 2010 It's going to be Vredestein Wintracs all round for me. CAn ill afford 'em up the moment but a full set is about the same price as the insurance excess alone. And in fairness when they're on the car my Michelin Primacy HPs will off the car and not wearing at all. So you sort of get your money back over a couple of years.

I think about £650 for my car which is on fairly modest 225/55/16. The speed rating can come right down with winter tyres, and totally legally, - in my case I'd be fitting 'H' when the summer tyre specification is 'W'. Still 131mph should be enough on sheet ice I think.:)

This is the first time I've been able to try a quattro in the snow and I'm really impressed. Braking is not that much better though so I mustn't get too carried away.

The traction control light hardly came on at all today despite the ice.

Be careful tomorrow morning as the Roads will be lethal.

This is the first time I've been able to try a quattro in the snow and I'm really impressed. Braking is not that much better though so I mustn't get too carried away.

The traction control light hardly came on at all today despite the ice.

Be careful tomorrow morning as the Roads will be lethal.

As you say, AWD is worthless when it comes to stopping again.

Does your car have the full stability program thing. The one where you can saw at the wheel (I've done this occasionally just to see it in action) on a greasy road without braking or accelerating and it plays with individual brakes in an effort to overcome tendency to oversteer or understeer. It does actually work quite well.

For sure, it cannot overturn the laws of physics but it does make good use of the available grip.

had around 3 inches yesterday afternoon but it turned to heavy rain.

was run this morning as it had all frozen,

plus side got to see the forzen beading all over the wifes car including the windows. looked really weird seeing it on the sides frozen

As you say, AWD is worthless when it comes to stopping again.

Does your car have the full stability program thing. The one where you can saw at the wheel (I've done this occasionally just to see it in action) on a greasy road without braking or accelerating and it plays with individual brakes in an effort to overcome tendency to oversteer or understeer. It does actually work quite well.

For sure, it cannot overturn the laws of physics but it does make good use of the available grip.

Its not the silly haldex one and it does work very well indeed, it seems to know what I want and delivers it. Still discovering the limits

Its not the silly haldex one and it does work very well indeed, it seems to know what I want and delivers it. Still discovering the limits

Wasn;t the Haldex one the electronic differential lock that VW used on fwd Passats and Golfs right back to the late 1990's?

Finding the limits is always good. Exceeding them is not so good

Wasn;t the Haldex one the electronic differential lock that VW used on fwd Passats and Golfs right back to the late 1990's?

Finding the limits is always good. Exceeding them is not so good

They are now on the third generation of Haldex controller, power is only sent to the rear wheels when the fronts lose traction. I guess it gives better economy but it is no substitute for a proper Quattro system.

I think if I ever did exceed the limits it would be disastrous for me! The car is so well planted it is unreal.