2010 UK budget predictions/reactions

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
What predictions do you have for todays UK budget announcement that will affect UK motorists?

I hope that the tax rise on fuel is scrapped but I suspect it will just be postponed.

After the budget feel free to post up your reactions to it.

if your on about the 3p its was anounced it was to be postponed

pint up around 10p once all the extras are added prob around 3-4p in tax
pack of 20 up around 15-20p

what time is it announced

clippits from the telegraph

FUEL DUTY
Next month's 3p increase in fuel duties will be staged. Will rise by a penny in April, followed by a further 1p rise in October and the remainder in January.
Planned increase in fuel duty will continue for one year from 2014

SIN TAXES
Duty on beer, wine and spirits will increase as planned from midnight on Sunday. Alcohol duties will also increase by 2pc above inflation for two further years from 2013.
Duty on cider will increase by 10pc above inflation from midnight on Sunday.
Tobacco duty will increase from today by 1pc above inflation. It will then increase by 2pc in real terms each year until 2014.

ROADS
£100m to pay for vital repairs to local roads following the recent bad weather, £285m for improvements on motorways

looks like ill be going off the cider pretty quickly.

Tbh, it may sound selfish, but I hardly drink anymore and don't smoke now anyway so add all the tax you want. Drink and smoking cause a lot of hassle in our society (binge drinking, violence, cancer, more work for the police, NHS etc etc) so the less people that can afford it the better imo.

Increasing taxes on something that is already so highly taxed and is such a relied-upon commodity (almost a need some would argue) however really, really, really, really p*ss*s me off (really). Not that fags and booze isn't already highly taxed (what isn't in the UK!?) but see my point above.

on topic, petrol increase, what a surprise, easiest tax in the world to make money - they are theives, pure and simple. do they really think people dont account for these continual increases - this is now 5p over two budgets, just calculate how much extra tax the thieves steal from you for every tank of fuel,

Last edited by a moderator:
on topic, petrol increase, what a surprise, easiest tax in the world to make money - they are theives, pure and simple. do they really think people dont account for these continual increases - this is now 5p over two budgets, just calculate how much extra tax the thieves steal from you for every tank of fuel,

Here here! Word to your mother! Tell you what also really gets my goat:

"A £35m university enterprise capital fund to support university innovation and spin-off companies."

GREAT! More sh*te university's with yet more mickey mouse degrees instead of teaching students real stuff for real jobs. More students borrowing and taking money from us to get their completely useless and irrelevent degree then coming out of Uni and starting off in a low-level job anyway. Just what we need.

There are some good points like the extra money for English, Science and Engineering students and education but it seems like Darling is taking one step forwards and two back. I mean just look at all the money put aside to repairs roads and motorways...that's no good if nobody can afford the fuel to drive on them!!!