2.0 Tfsi better than a 1.4 on MPG

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Here is an interesting fact. The trip computer on my A4 2.0 TFSi shows an MPG average of 35.

I borrowed a 1.4 TFSi A1 the other day and just out of interest I checked the MPG average on this all time and it was a measly 34.5!

I really thought there would be more difference between these. I guess the courtesy car is driven mainly around town and probably quite hard. It had only done 600 miles though.

Have you ever been suprised by how uneconomical a car is when driven hard (or normally).

You only get economy in a little car if you drive it at the same rpm as a bigger car. It just doesn't go anywhere near as quick.

Ditto this... some small cars are shocking. I couldn't get more then 28mpg out of a Ford KA which had some pathetic excuse for an engine in it... not sure exactly what it was, probably a small hamster or possibly a rabbit at best under the bonnet.

Ditto this... some small cars are shocking. I couldn't get more then 28mpg out of a Ford KA which had some pathetic excuse for an engine in it... not sure exactly what it was, probably a small hamster or possibly a rabbit at best under the bonnet.

:embarrest: Well Rob I had the unfortunate luck of having to drive around a 2001 KA 1.3 for 2 months while works was being carried out on my baby.
I must say that all though the size was difficult for a big fella, compared to my own chariot I thought the KA just ran on fresh air :amazed:
Petrol consumption was fantastic, no exact figures as it was a basic model with no computers just gauge watching! Maybe if they are properly serviced and looked after as I would expect a garage courtesy car to be, then the car rewards you with good fuel economy.

Eco cars can be brilliant if they're bought for the right purpose and driven accordingly.

Generally though, and I've said this for years, driving style is the biggest factor when considering one vehicle.

I could get mine down to about 20mpg or less by being silly with it.