10 top car tips that every driver should know.

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Over the years we pick up little gems of information.The sort of things that are not obvious until they are pointed out to you so here are our top tips. Those little snippits of information that every driver should know.They can save time, inconvenience and make interesting conversation point with friends.Most of these tips were gleaned from our members in our forum, please join - TorqueCars are one of the friendliest and fastest growing car clubs around.

Continue reading...

The fuel pump icon is true on some cars but not all. The Landy is correct as it says that in the manual, the MG is not. Heard the one about cleaning the screen with washing up liquid to help reduce misting.

Yeah, fuel pump is a myth. However, the Chrysler 300 we had in America had a little arrow head next to the pump pointing to the filler side.

If your engine cuts out and you need to move forward, for example you are on railway crossing use the starter motor. Put the car in gear and turn on the starter motor. If your battery is in good condition there should be just enough to get you out of harms way. (Expect to replace the starter motor though!)

Starter motor wil be fine! However, this will only work with a manual gearbox.

I just checked the photos of the Ford Expedition we had in September also has the arrow showing where the filler was. I miss that car!

If your clutch goes completely you can change gear if you match the engine/gearbox speed carefully. Moving the gearstick to neutral and then slipping it into gear will usually work. The higher the gear the easier this is to pull off without crunching the gearbox. This way, as long as you keep the car moving you should be able to get the car to a garage.

Again, only works with manual boxes.

When stationary, turn engine off, put in first gear and start engine. it will be a little jerky but you wil soon be moving.

Changing up is easy, simply foot off throttle and ease into next gear. Changing down needs a little practice (had plenty!). Into neutral, blip throttle and put into gear.

If your clutch goes completely you can change gear if you match the engine/gearbox speed carefully. Moving the gearstick to neutral and then slipping it into gear will usually work. The higher the gear the easier this is to pull off without crunching the gearbox. This way, as long as you keep the car moving you should be able to get the car to a garage.

Again, only works with manual boxes.

When stationary, turn engine off, put in first gear and start engine. it will be a little jerky but you wil soon be moving.

Changing up is easy, simply foot off throttle and ease into next gear. Changing down needs a little practice (had plenty!). Into neutral, blip throttle and put into gear.
You seem to assume that there are people out there not driving a manual car, that's just silly talk and I want to hear nothing more of it.