10 Points for whomever guesses the cause of this...

MasterAuron

Very Senior Member
Car
Mk1 Focus RS
04042009063.jpg
[/IMG]

04042009064.jpg

That was quick! Pitting indeed (on the fourth cylinder). Amazingly the bore wall has escaped any serious damage! The cause though, was close but wrong :cheesy:

has it sucked a nut in through the intake after someone has been working on it by any chance:rolleyes:
I wont tell you where ive seen that before:lol:

D

has it sucked a nut in through the intake after someone has been working on it by any chance:rolleyes:
I wont tell you where ive seen that before:lol:

D

Hahaha ten points to Dean! Some absolute donut dropped a washer into the inlet without realising. That's why you don't work on your cars why you're hung-over/still drunk. :embarrest:

I dropped a M5 nut when working on an old 3 sreies BMW i had for beating around in, turned out i had dropped it into the carb, it ran for another 2K rattling away untill one day the piston disintigrated, no idea why:lol:
What does 10 points get me then????:blink1:

D

I'm not to fussed as progress is slow waiting for parts for my other project, so it's just the engine I'm playing around with to keep me entertained in the meantime. I heard the rattle, turned it off and knew what had happenned straight away lol. Cracked the inlet, cam carrier and head off this morning and ta-da a bent in half washer sitting on the piston! Also hit the spark plug and mullerred the end lol.

You need 30 points for a lollipop.

Sounds about right, the B'em would regularly run on 3 as the plug would get mashed, i never bothered taking the head off cos it was a dog.
We live and learn though:D.

30 points for a lolly!!!!!! its gona take forever to get that caterham:(.........:lol:

Just think of the fun you could have had with a small ball bearing! You could advertise as an internal shot-blasting service.

Hahaha ten points to Dean! Some absolute donut dropped a washer into the inlet without realising. That's why you don't work on your cars why you're hung-over/still drunk. :embarrest:

Wasnt you was it ?
wouldnt have thought a waher would have done that to begin with, but after its been mangled a bit

Wasnt you was it ?
wouldnt have thought a waher would have done that to begin with, but after its been mangled a bit

Certainly was lol. I can change a turbo on one of these in about 3 hours from start to finish and about 4 for a headgasket. I use all new washers and bolts (and sometimes studs) so I didn't notice any of the old ones missing. **** just happens when you rush I guess. As I said though I'm not bothered as the bottom end is getting swapped and the head getting rebuilt eventually anyway. All it's cost me is a set of head bolts, head gasket and a head skim ~£50 in total.

As for the mangling, it's nowhere near as bad as it looks. The pistons are pitted as standard so there's only actually a few marks from the washer, which had folded in half. The engine mustve ran for about 6 or 7 seconds before I noticed the rattling.

Consequently, before the scoring that is THE cleanest head I've ever seen. They are notorious for cracking between the valves too, but this one's (was) in near perfect nick bar a bit of coking on the valves.

In it's current guise, soon. Just waiting on a headgasket. Once it's running engine-wise plan is to move it to my recently acquired garage, and start a full restoration of the bodywork. Needs a tiny bit of welding underneath, then the whole lot will be re-undersealed, refurbed rear beam, brand new front wishbones, brand new rear trailing arms, fit the Eibach uprated ARB's and as many polybushes as I can find. ABS is coming out. PAS is staying.

The shell wil be repaired and then painted inside and out and I might seam weld it if I can be arsed. Need to sort out a cage too. Few other top secret things in the works too...

Hopefully by this time I'll have managed to save up £1500 for the DTA and mapping. Build new motor (bottom end is built), and swap for old. Gearbox will be rebuilt with a Quiafe LSD that's currently being built ETA end of May.

I'll get a project thread up as soon as the major work kicks off though, as what's happenning with this can be applied to a lot of cars, so hopefully it will be of use to people.

I do miss having it off the road and driving around in a slow-ass 1.2 tough. It's been about a year now!