62 penalty points and still driving

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
What are your thoughts on this story?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-39053658

Man tots up 62 penalty points whilst driving on a motorway but he's still allowed to drive?

I know you can get 30 points per week on your two journeys to work and back if you drive through a few of camera enforcement zones. Should offences on the same day count as multiple offences?

Under what condition would you let off a driver with so many points? Would you levy a large fine or some other restriction?

It kind of makes a mockery of what we have been told with regards to points built up on the licence o_O

If I ever go to commit a murder, I want that man's lawyer :lol:

I saw that on the news this morning. They said every time a driver reaches a ban limit they have to present their case to a judge and argue why they shouldn't be banned. Some I can understand (eg - someone who drives maybe 35-40k miles a year and hits 12 points over 5 years, if they were a habitual speeder they would have been caught more, surely, plus they probably drive for a living and losing a licence may cause unnecessary hardship).
The unnecessary hardship is probably the most common excuse and it is up the judge to rule on each case. But surely there should be a point where the driver is just a danger to him/herself and others on the road and should be banned.

Over here the magistrate can allow a driver who has exceeded the maximum penalty points to drive in daylight working hours only as part of his job.

Over here the magistrate can allow a driver who has exceeded the maximum penalty points to drive in daylight working hours only as part of his job.
That sounds like a really sensible restriction, a ban with a mercy clause I like that.