10" and 12" Alloys

RSmith

Torque Junkie
Car
Smart Fortwo Pas'n
Hi guys,

I've been wondering this for a long time now. I've seen old minis pootling around with 10" and 12" rims... and equally I've seen Chrysler 300Cs cruising with big 20" rims.

What are the performance benefits of fitting big / small wheels? I have a 69bhp Smart Fortwo and I'm wondering what putting 12" alloys on my 800kg BEAST will do power wise?

Cheers... Richard

Hi guys,

I've been wondering this for a long time now. I've seen old minis pootling around with 10" and 12" rims... and equally I've seen Chrysler 300Cs cruising with big 20" rims.

What are the performance benefits of fitting big / small wheels? I have a 69bhp Smart Fortwo and I'm wondering what putting 12" alloys on my 800kg BEAST will do power wise?

Cheers... Richard

Nothing at all. You'll find that the brake discs won't even fit inside the rims.

20" is massive but on a 300C not totally out of place. But you can get Mondeos now with 18" rims shod with 245/40/ZR18 rubber. Bit silly really given the cost of tyres this size. Especially in the 2nd user market.

smaller wheels generally have less mass and therefore less unsprung mass. makes handling better

tyres are also cheaper

bigger wheels look better than standard but thats about it

I did notice a huge improvment in handiling on a few cars while upgrading to 18" alloys with very decent summer tyres.

The width of the tyre increases grip, increased circumference does little to enhance the power and in fact alters the gearing for lower acceleration and higher top speed.