Which is the fastest lane in a jam?

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
I always seem to get in the slowest lane so on my journey home I made some observations.

Before a turn off there is often a delay in the outside lane (1)
Just after a turn off lane 1 moves the fastest.
When there is a turn on lane 1 slows up again.
Lane 2 is clogged with people switching from lane 1 and lane 3.
Lane 3 seems to flow well until you get people switching in from lane 2 when lane 1 starts to slow up.

So I would say stick in lane 3 then move to lane 1 just after a junction and move back before a turn on. Avoid lane 2 as much as possible.

Have I cracked it? Does this bear out for you?

for me its the 1 thats moving and i force my way into ;) and im not trying to be sarcastic here ever

I don't know which is the fastest, but I am usually in the slowest :)

Actually, if you simply stay in one lane and pick easily visible vehicles in the other lanes, it is suprising how often they keep coming back into view (even the lane hoppers!). Now I just pick the outside lane (avoiding people joining at junctions and only having to watch out for idiots on one side) and pootle along. I have always managed to get where I am going and arrive far less stressed:)

I'd choose the fast lane but only because i'm normally in that 1 and don't see the point keep changing. I too focus on a car around me an and in very slow traffic they do keep appearing whether they catch me up or i catch them.

just get a monster truck conversion and mash all the cars, might kill you insurance and destroy your no claims but at least you get there faster,

i alway tend to switch lanes when i see one moving faster, i just rev straight into, then when another moves go into that one, and so one, this also makes it ab bit more fun and wastes your petrol a bit more :D

The best lane in a jam is the one just to the left of serious eye candy, preferrably when you're in something large......;)

Juddian: "preferrably when you're in something large......"

Same applies - I will not yield to anything, regardless of size or mass, in such situations. Please don't take advantage of me in me lil ole Pug

Sitting it out and not trying to use the last 50 yards of RH lane is the best way to keep things moving. Blocking that part works very well.

Juddian: "preferrably when you're in something large......"

Same applies - I will not yield to anything, regardless of size or mass, in such situations. Please don't take advantage of me in me lil ole Pug

Thats just as well, as most normal red blooded fella's i know will be staying just where they are...beside the eye candy....

Think we have a misunderstanding there.

There are many advantages to driving something higher..;)

Last edited by a moderator:
You can have that - being able to see over other vehicles can be helpful. What I object to is when people try to drive over the other vehicles :). Let's assume you don't do that ]
Cheers,

P.