Which gear do you use the least?

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
I just spotted that I never use 3rd gear, I go straight from 2nd to 4th or 5th.

When joining a motorway I accelerate upto the road speed and then slam into 5th gear skipping 4th.

Do you always go through your gears sequentially or are you like me and skipping gears when you are upto road speed.

in town if i can get the speed up i go 2nd -4th. but i would say that i use 1st or second the least. 3rd and 4th are used mainly for overtaking 5th and 6th for cruising

id say third unless im joinin the motorway then i just rev it to the max in every gear bar 5th, generally skip third and go into 4th

I, too, am a sequential changer. Although if I'm rolling to a halt at a traffic light (or, chucking the anchors out after yesterday's debate!) I'll go straight down to bottom if we're moving off again soon.

Most used for me is probably fourth for overtaking on A roads, but it's high enough to cruise in anyway. In town I prefer third - my car's so high geared it really hates 4th below 40mph.

I tend to miss 3rd.... love the induction noise from my car so i tend to give it a bit of stick in 2nd then go straight to fourth to avoid the removal of my licence if i go through 3rd...