Where's my Capri?

Jelan

Car
Seat Leon 1.6s
Evening all,

Yep the title is me harping back to the good old days of my tuned 2.0 pinto engined capri, but alas its gone now, many years ago...... :sad2: But i can bore anyone to tears with the work and mods i put into back in 1990!

So i now find myself with my wifes hand me down as my old range rover 4.6 had to go the way of the Dodo and she now has a nice shiny red Mazda RX8.

So i of course have a 2002 Seat Leon 1.6s! So i'm not the sort of guy to drive around in a normal car so have started work on it and we'll see how much of my middle aged income i waste for 1 extra bhp at a time!

So far we have a;

Sports Exhaust System
CDA Carbon Induction Kit
Angel Tuning Remap being done on the 26th (8 Bhp boost lol)

Planned or thinking of doing;

35mm Lowering all round (wouldnt mind some advice on kits)
17" inch rims (think the 18" may be a step too far on the 1.6 engine)
Window Tinting
Lexus Rear lights
Quick shifter
Fast Road Cam Kit (wouldnt mind some advice around this as well)

Hello and welcome, you sound like you will fit in just fine.

Have you considered doing an engine swap to a 1.8T?

I haven't looked at the engine swap I must admit, should have really since that's what I did with the old Capri. Any guides or advice on the issues around swapping them?

stay away from the ARZ as these are the weakest engines. AGU are the strongest and also have larger intake ports. BAM are the most powerful at 225bhp but command a large premuim for them
AUM and AUQ are 150 and 180 bhp respectively but both map to around 21. the AUM is the only 150bhp variant that has the K03s turbo

you will require the ECU, Engine loom, engine duh, gearbox.
you will also have to have the immobiliser in the ECu removed of have access to vag tacho and vagcom to reprogram the immobiliser other wise the engine will start and die.

the 1.6 should have 280mm front discs as standard and cant be easily upgraded. look to finding a set of hubs from a 1.8t 2.3 or 2.8 from the leon, golf,bora, octavia, tt or a3. if you can go for a late model 1.8t (180bhp varients) or the v6 versions and see if you can get the whole front brake setup as these are 312mm

if you cant get a later model setup it depends on how much you are willing to spend. the 288mm setup on the earlier 1.8t can be upgraded to the 312mm for around 200 as all that is need is a new set of carriers and the discs.
ferrari 355 brembos can go on - larger version of the seat leon cupra R, very similar to the Aston martin vantage
porche bembos go on with a different carrier again - this setup can be done for less than £500 including new discs and pads

hope that is some info for you

nah you need slightly more than a hammer and screwdriver nowadays ;)

also missed off engine mounts off the above list not sure if the dogbone (one under the gearbox) is the same and dont have ETKA open so cant check

there are somepeople who you can sent the ECU to while you fit everything else and they will recode the clocks to match the ECUs

get to a scrappy then ;)
if there like the ones around here the whol suspension arm and hub will still be as one. your looking for the ones that dont have the FSIII callipers on them.
that or check out seatcupra.net classifieds see if they have any

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back