Where do you put your clutch foot?

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
When you are not operating the clutch what do you do with your left foot?

Some rest it on the clutch pedal lightly :confused: others put it on the floor underneath or to one side and some cars have a little block to rest it on.

(Before someone says it I think I will "at the end of my left leg!" :blink:)

I've got one of those footrest things which I use to pin me into the seat if taking bends quickly. Otherwise it's tucked under the seat - legacy of years of driving automatics.

hmm, dippends on how long my foot is not going to be operating the clutch, if I pull onto a duel carrige way then it doesnt really leave the pedel, just resting or hovering over it. If I see the need to slow down further up the road then it hovers over the pedel again.

but If I am driving down a long road and have no need to use the clutch i tend to put it down the left of the pedel, even when there is no fake pedel thingy.

Having just got an automatic for the very first time, it's not so much 'where do I put my left foot' as the foot rest room is much more generous, but how do I stop years of driving manuals from making me reach for a clutch that isn't there? The other day, I panicked at the end of my road, and went to put out the clutch that isn't there any more. Thanks to the honking great brake pedal (yes, why is that?) I nearly stood the car on end, despite having my right foot covering most of it already.

I think the problem lies with the fact that the left foot is programmed to pressing a pedal to the floor, whereas the right is used to being a bit deft in everything it does, so unless you're a rally driver, left foot braking feels weird.

Think I'm going to have to velcro my shoe to the foot rest or drive with my left leg tucked behind my right. I can't wait for holiday hire cars - it'll be a laugh (or a stall) a minute!

Why not get a fake pedal installed Chris! :lol:

What a great idea - it'd be like a dummy cigarette for those that just can't give it up, or one of those dummy steering wheels with the rubber sucker for kids to play with. I can see a whole new market in dummy car controls, including choke knobs, window winders, dummy sun roofs with a picture of the sky, crank handles etc. Oh the nostalgia!