What would you like to see in the new forum?

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Heres your chance to moan whinge and make suggestions.

I'm looking at a new forum. Vbulletin seems to be quite good, what features would you like to see here? Here is my list - add to it or make other suggestions.

FASTER - the forum needs to be much quicker (we now have over 3000 members and the database is slowing up! I'm moving to a faster server sometime this week so there might be a couple of hours downtime but this should be a short term fix.

SPAM - Rather than limiting everyone to so many posts within a time limit and banning PMs for everyone exept for on request I would prefer to see tighter control on new members and relax this after say 10 posts. This will mean we get a better and spam free exisitance.

SUBFORUMS - It would be nice to have all the makes and models as a sub forum rather than all take up space on the front page.

BLOGS - Members should be able to have an online diary about their cars and update us on their projects - this can then be part of the main site and open to everyone rather than just the forum members to read.

PICTURES - It needs to be really easy to upload and include pictures in our posts. At the moment it is not particularly easy to do.

GALLERY - We need a faster and easier to use gallery.

What else would you like to see or are any of the things I have mentioned not important to you? Games? Chatroom? Users can publish articles on the main site as well?

Last edited:
waynne said:
FASTER - the forum needs to be much quicker (we now have over 3000 members and the database is slowing up! I'm moving to a faster server sometime this week so there might be a couple of hours downtime but this should be a short term fix.

know it sounds simple but when not delete someof the older members that have not posted
had a look on the memberslist and 19 on the first page joined in 2005 have never posted. bount to be a few hundred more that should free up some room

Good point - I will be doing a clean up of the memberlist. Any who have not confirmed membership will be deleted. All those not posting will be given an opportunity to do so - we have quite a few lurkers that read but don't post and I wouldn't want to shut them out :wink: .

Theres one already! http://www.torquecars.com/forums/f47/ Start a new thread and use the picture upload option. Let me know if you have any problems as its all new. I do know that when you select a picture from your uploads it will go where your mouse was in the main window but you can move the picture around. I will work on a garage type part of the profile - my first attempt didn't work well enough and I've been too busy with the rest of this forum to go back to it - but I will!

Refinement to the forum thread display.

When viewing threads I have moved the username and details back to the left like we had on the other forum, it means the pages are a little shorter. Do you prefer this or the previous method having the username and details above each post?

Last edited:
Feel free to start a new thread in Car tuning, explain what MS/MJ are for newbies and if there is enough interest and posts you will get a dedicated subforum. (Thats what happened with Drifting, Drag racing and 4x4 etc...

Site needs a Group Buy section. Get us discounts on bits and pieces, have sort of posted one in for sale. Mega popular and they incourage peeps to seek out discounts for themselfs as well as sharing them with others!!
Got links to loads of other forums Group buy sections

Last edited by a moderator:
There is one at the very bottom right already - Contact Us - Car tuning - Archive - Top :)
You can collapse the posting rule by clicking the black arrow and this will bring this panel up a little higher.

Greetings

Websites are so complicated that I have to rely on them simply to be tools. Even with a good site, I'm sometimes unsure "which page" I'm writing on.
The Motley Fool (finance) site (USA) is very complex but you do know where you are. This site seems pretty good but I still am not quite used to it. The biggest help would be (IMHO) that Threads should be categorised, so people writing should choose a heading, and subheading, like the library Dewey decimal system. Then, as membership grew, people would automaticall be able to see that their topic had been discussed and it could be brought to life again, rather than starting all over again. Can we check what we (or someone else) has written? If this is twaddle, apologies - I'm not mentally inclined to organisation.

I've said before, that I'd like to diarise (?), ie write a log, on my attempt to build a two stroke diesel. So I'm going to find my thread, and start.

Great talking,

Malc9141:lol: