What speed camera detector do i get?

Civic05

Car
Civic
I have got an old Snooper unit and getting fed up of all the false warnings, plus i have found out that if i get a laser warning it could be too late as it only warns once the laser has hit it and they would have got your speed my then.

I am looking to get a new GPS unit but am not sure what to get, can anyone help?

wouldnt it be cheaper just to abide by the speed limits in the first place? :$

Well said, it's a good point.

Anything that detects laser or radar is once again illegal, having had the 1949 Wireless telegraphy Act thing overturned in Jan 1998 in a Scottish case.

GPS based devices are legal as they only utilise information that's already in the public domain.

yeah GPS detectors are the only ones that give you advance warning however it will also have all the mobile locations as well so will give you hundreds of false warnings. Laser ones will go off with just about anything that uses a laser sender again false warnings and unless your following a car thats been targeted by the gun then if your alarm goes off them its most likely to be too late
stick to the limits or pay the fine pretty simple really

why a detector??, what about an offender
did you see clarksons latest dvd where he drives a porsche and rockets attached to it

thats me all out, i dont think any of them detectors work, do they??

they all work to an extent but the problem is they go off when they detect the laser signature. which is normally too late. or the GPS ones will alreat you whether the guns are there or not

not like the old 1s so
i know the gps tells you where the traps are

but the problem as you said is the law holdiing the guns

The road angel is pretty good. Anything with Instant updates should work but at best they are only a tool.

Well said, it's a good point.

Anything that detects laser or radar is once again illegal, having had the 1949 Wireless telegraphy Act thing overturned in Jan 1998 in a Scottish case.

GPS based devices are legal as they only utilise information that's already in the public domain.

As this was a Scottish case could it be different in England as understand a lot of the laws are completely different? just a thought.

As this was a Scottish case could it be different in England as understand a lot of the laws are completely different? just a thought.

What you say is correct. Scottish and English law are not necessarily the same.

In this case, however, English Courts accepted the fact that the Wireless Telegraphy Act 1949 could not be applied to speed detectors. The reasoning was that the radar beam did not contain any information as such, therefore intercepting it was not akin to intercepting Police communication.

Does this mean they are legal in England then?

They were for a while as the High Court accepted the precedent given that it was set against the same 1949 Wireless Telegraphy Act.

Subsequent attempts at a road safety bill in parliament have attempted to introduce specific legislation against the use of such detectors but it's unclear how it stands at this point.

You can sell/buy/own one but there's some conjecture as to the legality of using one.

Some say that you could be charged with perverting the course of justice. This is fragile in my opinion. After all, if the cameras are placed in places where speed has proven to be contributory to accidents then surely something that makes yo uslow down is a good thing!

You can't always blame speed as being the cause either. Driver error is the single biggest cause.

Cheers everyone for helping. Apart from the negative comments about abiding to the speed limit. This is why i am looking of a GPS unit to aid me, not try to evade the police.

I found this website over the weekend that sells Novus GPS detectors and will take my old rubbish for a trade in discount. The company is called Staycon.co.uk.

I will give them a call and see what they are like and let you all know how it goes. Good or bad!

Do keep us posted with how you get on.

I'm sure you've worked out by now we are a friendly bunch if a little wacky at times. Feel free to chip in on our other threads and do post up an introduction about yourself and you car.;)

You would be better off using your GPS satnav unit and paying for updates and mapshare. However the mobile units will always be an unknown and as said probably too late in most instances.

Nothing wrong with the comment on abiding by the law, an obvious statement and you should expect comments by return. Just because it is a car forum does not mean we are all speeding petrolheads. Some of us are just plain lucky :blink1:

I'm no angel that i will admit, but I must be doing something right after driving for 28 years, never been breathalysed or had a single point on my licence. Not bad considering I have had over 50 cars in that time, raced and now do track days. I know my luck will run out one day but I'll only have myself to blame. Just be sensible and observant.

Whatever you do go for it would be interesting to be kept informed on how well they work. I will also admit if my job relied on a car being part of the reason I was employed I would probably invest in something to reduce the risk purely because you cannot be 100% focused all of the time when driving all day. Am I alone when you can't recall say the last mile or two of where you have been?

Civic05 i just wondering if you have used that website yet staycon.co.uk and what do you think? I have, and i must say the service is very good. I had to give them a call direct because I was unsure with how the service worked and was trading in my old Tom Tom. I got a great deal for the Novus Rider. However another extra bonus is that I have yet to send of my TomTom back to them, this has been almost a week now and they still haven’t emailed or called me so I am thinking of sticking it on ebay to get rid of it.

Welcome mate you post got stuck because of the link.

one question why ? if your trading it in and theyve yet to get in touch with you after a week doesnt mean theyve forgotten.