what oil??

for vtec only 1 oil to get, gtx magnetec 10w40
bad idea putting cheap oil with vtec systems, i know, its all i ever drove

Castrol Magnetec is one of the worlds triumphs of marketing over product value/quality.

It's a distinctly average oil with a distinctly high price tag.

talk to me then guys whats the best oil now?
note i want something that protects my engine first tip of the key, and can put up with serious abuse

I would suggest AMSOIL. AMSOIL supplies what is, in my opinion, the single most rounded set of synthetics available to anyone. Depending upon what SAE grade (viscosity) Honda suggests for your car, I would look here first:....

http://www.performanceoilsltd.co.uk/petrol_engine_oil.html

I only suggest this lot because I have had very good advice from then in the past. Since you're a Torque Cars member I suggest that you approach Guy of Opie Oils for full advice.

My recommendation would be a thorough engine flush - use a flush additive first; then fill with cheap thin oil. Drain again, replace filter and then fill with something from AMSOIL's lineup. Guy will guide you. He may even recommend a different product.

If so, then do as he advises and please order from him, having taken advantage of his professional knowledge and free advice.

Don't be led to believe that higher viscosity automatically means better protection; it doesn't. Also, the smaller the difference between the lower (W) number and the higher one the better. This means that there are less viscosity modifiers in the oil, as such the base stock will be more stable and remain in grade for far longer. So if Honda suggests a 5w-40 but you can get a top quality full synthetic 10w-30 that will fit with the climate in which your car is used then that is almost certainly a better option.

You also need an oil that will maintain engine cleanliness reliably - keeping combustion by-products in suspension reliably between services. This is often where top quality oils will dominate in performance over cheaper ones.

The VTEC cam and valve operating gear uses engine oil pressure to engage/disengage the cam follower locking system so Honda should be consulted in the first instance. This is not quite the big deal it might seem, many cars use hydraulic tappets in the interest of maintenance free valve gear for the life of the engine, but should be given consideration.

GUY - please will you elaborate and provide mr Prevtec with some proper advice - I'm at the limit of my knowledge.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back