What makes a good car chase scene

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
In the movies what makes a good car chase scene? You can only pick one from the list though.

1) Cool stylish cars
2) Big Crashes
3) Skilful driving
4) A good location for the shoot
5) A hunky/pretty actor

If I could only pick one i'd probably go for the Skilful driving. Look at the italian Job and the Bourne Identity - not ultra cool stylish cars but great chase scenes.

definaltly skilful driving for me, love the opening sequence of transporter (first one),

location helps,
actor/actress dont matter cos i dont watch them anyway lol,
crashes normally mean its over :(,
stylish cars again help as prob wouldnt be as exciting in an old beaten up fiesta lol.

skillfull driving untill they mess up right at the end just as the police give up

Last edited by a moderator:
Skillful driving.

See Gone in 60 Seconds (the original).

Written, directed, acted and driven by the same man.

Last edited:
There was an article in one of the papers a while ago about the top 10 car chases. I don't think the writer or the editor had seen enough films - mind you their writing is for entertainment purposes rather than enlightenment. They want people nodding along as they read the article rather than thinking - I might watch this film that is new to me.

My opinion on the Top Five would read something like this (although maybe not in this order):
Vanishing Point (original version - although the Vigo Mortensen (SP) remake had a brilliant chase between a black Dodge Charger and his white Dodge Challenger)
Gone in 60 Seconds (original version - again the remake had a good chase but it's just not the same as the 45+ minute chase in the original).
Ronin - there are two good car chases - the second one is perhaps the best of the two.
Bullitt - a car chase so good for the time that no-one can remember what the rest of the film is about.
Taxi (the Luc Besson original) - some good driving scenes and the film ends with a good chase. The chases in subsequent taxi films are a little too silly. The Peugeot V6 is much cooler than the Crown Vic in the Queen Latifah remake!