wgolf gt tdi

S

swansea0boy

Does any one know if i drive my car high revs will it damage the engine?
every time i start my car i always drive it slow with low rev's till the engine hits 90C then i often leave the rev's go guite high throught the gears can this damage your engine or its it build to take it? Its a mk4 golf gt tdi. :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats the way I drive my TDI. Altough my is not as powerfull. General recomendation is you should be kind untill temp goes to 90C, after that higher revs should not be an problem. Remind that you got no reason to push it above 4000 rpm, and that is above most do unless they try to race someone. After that point power should decrease rapidly if I corect recall graphs I saw.
After you had hard driving it is recomendable to let engine in low revs for some time and after that disengage it. That is because your turbo sees high temperatures and good thing is to let the oil flow somewhat cool it down and in other hand, if you disengage hot engine after some burning driving, you stop the oil flow and oil that is in your turbo bearings could became carbon.

P.S. I know my technical english is not very technical at all, but I trying to improvise while thinking about apropriate words to explain. Hope you will understand what I meant to describe or at least my words could put some more right questions - answers is often hiden in good questions. Cheers!

No point taking a tdi to the redline, use the torque band, 2000-3000ish rpm.

then get a remap and make the torque band wider.

To the point!
Before remap my car was cheerfull to about 3200 rpm and after that she strugled somewhat. After remap I can drive up to 4000 with good acceleration.
But, it is matter of remap itself; remaper can adjust where most power sits and that would determine how to drive your car. Looking at RR sheets should give you idea where the power is.
In my opinion, good remap got no spikes and deeps in torque.

Hello and welcome to the site mate

dont go by the temp gauge as thats for the water. once it hits 90 give it another 5 mins for the oil to come up to temp.

as for driving it to the red line there is no point. diesels arent worth going that high as you just lose the torque as yugguy says.
some remaps will help it but more wont more the band around that much

May I as the site admin wish you a very warm welcome to TorqueCars. It is really nice to meet you and I hope you'll be spending some time with us over the months to come.

Stick in the power band as has been said, the top end doesn't really mean you go any quicker.

You'll find us one of the friendliest and most helpful car tuning forums around.

Do feel free to chip in on our other topics and discussions, we are all here to share our passion for cars. Being friendly and helpful is a forum rule here and I'm sure you'll fit in just fine.

you should fit a high performance clutch quickly mate, ive changed loads on remapped audi & vw tdis that have sheered the clutch plate in 2, ripping the entire centre of the clutch plate away from the outer (contact plates & the part they mount to away from the rest) they are very torquey and if you try to take off quickly the stress on the clutch is enormous

Hi Gilly216!
I think Swansea0Boy does have stock map, at least he didn't tell us anythink about remaping here. In that perspective stock clutch is good enough.
Swansea0Boy, if you think about remaping and puting more power into allready powerfull and torquey engine consider what Gilly216 said about clutch. Don't know how much torque your stock clutch can take. I'm sure experienced maper would know it's limit. For ilustration people are writting around the web that my clutch can take about 330 Nm of torque but not for long. You sure got a lot stronger stock clutch then I got but just for egsample.

standard clutch is good for 300ftlb, after this you need to look at uprated.

downside is the 6spd models are around a grand for a new clutch and flywheel

Yeah, id read your earlier comment Zwaf n thaught it was swansea0boy on about the remap by the time i finished reading. My mistake, but its worth getting the remap if you like performance, best few hundred quid youll ever spend for low down grunt & acceleration in a diesel ;)

Last edited:
Hey Gilly216, telling someone to do remap is never an mistake in my glossary! :lol:
Your recomendation is for sure one valuable point in case the man ever decide to make that car more powerfull.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back