vw passat KOOOO!!!

boostnturbos

Torque Junkie
Car
BMW 318ci SE
a friend of mine has a vw passat 4motion 130bhp. real fresh car. he had her in the garage the last day and the mechanic noticed the exhaust clamp was slack. iv never noticed any unusual noises from her before so was suprised to see this was the case. he tightned it up and said no more bout it. next thing you no shes "kooo-ing" away through the gears. i always thought that the koo was caused by back pressure, this supposedly causes damage to the turbo, therfore vw wouldnt send a car out standard "kooo-ing". what actualy is causing this koo sound, is it something to do with the exhaust and is it able to recreated on other cars?

The loose pipe might have been masking this sound that was there all along.

its coming from the turbo. power hasnt droped atal plus wen we took out the air filter she kinda makes moe of a kooo, very slight tho. no pipes slack pipes nor is there a whistle. there are plenty of golfs and boras kooo-ing around here but never heard a passat do it. i thought that it was something to do with the boost settings in that engine so the passat not doing it sort of confirmd my notion but now this passat is kooo-ing that throws that out the window. so would i be right in saying any turbo engine COULD do it if put under the same conditions?

i work at stainless steel exhausts for a pasttime ye may say now (no work or money over ere in ireland), i got a diesel civic to koo by accident. man loves it but cant for the life o me figure out what i did, mybe a slight restriction at the turbo pipe (slide a 1mm wall pipe up the inside). iv got a mapped 406 2.0HDi that would sound class doing a bit o koo-ing.

if anybody got a vag to koo i would love to no how and then would love to find out the theroy on this subject. I NEED TO KNOW!!!hahaha.

Bloke in hemel who's an audi tech during the day. Cost me 125 quid.

With the whoosh koo thing its not the car its the engine, the pd130 is the same across the board.

The actuator can get stuck aye but it can be tested and then freed if you can get someone with vagcom, the registered version. You can use that to send the code to move the actuator rod and then it will return a success or fail code. In some cases doing this can free it up, otherwise its a case of taking the bits apart and cleaning them, if this doesn't work you need a new actuator rod or motor.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back