'umming and arring'

jefflucas28

Tuner
Car
2000 Clio S 1.4i 8v
Hello,

I have a reasonably rare clio 1.4i 8v S. I believe they were produced for only 12 months, from Jan to Dec 2000. Its dark pearlescent green, 3 door, standard 14" alloys, aggressive twin headlights, subtle rear tail spoiler and hugging sports seats. I bought it in July 2008 with 41k on the clock, its now December 2008 and I'm just about to tip into the 53k bracket:eek:. So it's fair to say I've worn her in.

Now to refer back to my title 'umming and arring'. I like to think of myself as an 'under bonnet modder':blink1:. I'm not into bodykits or lexus lights. More 'wolf in sheeps clothing' is my mentality;). Hence my current state of indecision. My first and only engine modification so far is the mandatory K&N 57i induction kit, to give it some kick and a helping of 'throaty rasp' at take off. This has satisfied me fine so far, but now I'm wanting that little bit extra. I could jabber on for longer but I've realised I should just get to the point. The two mods I'm stuck between are; sports manifold or sports cat? Or both? Any other mod recommendations welcome!

Thanks again,
Jeff.

Hello,

I have a reasonably rare clio 1.4i 8v S. I believe they were produced for only 12 months, from Jan to Dec 2000. Its dark pearlescent green, 3 door, standard 14" alloys, aggressive twin headlights, subtle rear tail spoiler and hugging sports seats. I bought it in July 2008 with 41k on the clock, its now December 2008 and I'm just about to tip into the 53k bracket:eek:. So it's fair to say I've worn her in.

Now to refer back to my title 'umming and arring'. I like to think of myself as an 'under bonnet modder':blink1:. I'm not into bodykits or lexus lights. More 'wolf in sheeps clothing' is my mentality;). Hence my current state of indecision. My first and only engine modification so far is the mandatory K&N 57i induction kit, to give it some kick and a helping of 'throaty rasp' at take off. This has satisfied me fine so far, but now I'm wanting that little bit extra. I could jabber on for longer but I've realised I should just get to the point. The two mods I'm stuck between are; sports manifold or sports cat? Or both? Any other mod recommendations welcome!

Thanks again,
Jeff.

Hi there mate and welcome to Torque Cars. TBH your not gonna see much gain from your 1.4 engine. But I'd put a full system exhaust on including the manifold and de-cat pipe, As well as a set off cams and an ecu remap. Like I say you won't get any big gains but it will feel an react alot quicker....Or you could have a 50bhp shot of Nitrous.....:D

Thanks for the tips Turbonutter99. This 'de-cat' business, is it road legal ? Isnt it a pipe that bypasses the catalytic converter. I'm sure I've read somewhere that it makes the car fail MOT's or something. In terms of Cat modifications, I've been looking in to replacing the factory fitted with a sports, but facing further confusion as I also read that putting a sports cat in is only worthwhile if the car is already producing over 200bhp?!

As you can see I'm desperate for all the 'real' advice I can get, off people, instead of websites who are trying to sell me the product.

Thanks again!

Thanks for the tips Turbonutter99. This 'de-cat' business, is it road legal ? Isnt it a pipe that bypasses the catalytic converter. I'm sure I've read somewhere that it makes the car fail MOT's or something. In terms of Cat modifications, I've been looking in to replacing the factory fitted with a sports, but facing further confusion as I also read that putting a sports cat in is only worthwhile if the car is already producing over 200bhp?!

As you can see I'm desperate for all the 'real' advice I can get, off people, instead of websites who are trying to sell me the product.

Thanks again!

Yes de-catting your car will make it fail the mot. But it is simply a bolt on product so all you have to do is bolt the cat back on for the mot...;)
Like I say mate your not gonna get much gains either way but a de-cat will give you a roaring exhaust note...:D

mate a decat is illegal and if the police pull you and check you can be done although everyone i know who have done a decat and been puled have never been done for it (lucky maybe dunno??)
the same as the emissions test in the mot some mates have put their cats back on some havent but all have passed suppose it can depend on the tester ???
but like turbonutter says you will not see much gain from modding a n/a 1.4 !!
your best bet with a clio 1.4 is look into handling and maybe a few styling touches !!!

A decat is NOT illegal. It's just extremely unlikely that the car will pass an emissions test without it in place and working correctly. There's also little point in removing it unless you're planning to also cripple the closed loop emissions system. And that will certainly cause it to fail.

The cheapest way to get big performance is to start with a common rail diesel turbo engine and simply get the ECU remapped. Obviously this means changing the car in your case so it's not automatically cheaper.

If you went mad with your car and spend £3000 you'd probably only get another 10-12bhp at best, with little difference in torque and driveability.

A decat is NOT illegal. It's just extremely unlikely that the car will pass an emissions test without it in place and working correctly. There's also little point in removing it unless you're planning to also cripple the closed loop emissions system. And that will certainly cause it to fail.

The cheapest way to get big performance is to start with a common rail diesel turbo engine and simply get the ECU remapped. Obviously this means changing the car in your case so it's not automatically cheaper.

If you went mad with your car and spend £3000 you'd probably only get another 10-12bhp at best, with little difference in torque and driveability.
im maybe wrong but i thought it was illegal to remove the cat from a car after the year 1992
cause whats the point of having a performance restricting part that can be removed legally ???? only to be put back on for the mot for emissions purposes ?? or is it only illegal to remove the cat without informing the insurance company ??? not sure could you spread some light on this hdi

Firstly welcome. :D

Most ecu's will go to 'limp mode' or 'safe mode' when a decat has been fitted if the car does not have pre-cats fitted. What you need is a MIL eliminator which will disable the loop and allow your car to breath. If the decat is identical to the original cat how can you be pulled as there is no way of knowing unless the rozzers have an emissions testing kit in the car.

If a car has one fitted after 1992 it must pass the test and have it fitted. Mine will have a decat fitted over xmas and I have 2 off pre-cats fitted in my manifolds. I might not require the MIL kit as the pre-cats will do their thing. Most people change them over come MOT time, so use stainless fixings ;)

Fit a free flowing manifold, sports cat and good quality cat-back exhaust to compliment your induction kit. Then cams or remap depending on the budget but don't expect a massive increase as it will be small.

Stamford said: "im maybe wrong but i thought it was illegal to remove the cat from a car after the year 1992
cause whats the point of having a performance restricting part that can be removed legally ???? only to be put back on for the mot for emissions purposes ?? or is it only illegal to remove the cat without informing the insurance company ??? not sure could you spread some light on this hdi"

You can remove anything you want to remove totally legally. It's a question of whether the car meets emissions standards.

Petrol fuelled cars registered in the UK from 1992 onward have all been fitted with 3 way closed loop controlled catalytic converters. As such, anything with a petrol engine made during the J/K 93 plate era must meet the emissions standards for that era.

If your car can meet the standards required during an MoT, and is tested and proven to meet them, then you can drive it on the road quite lawfully, with or without a cat.

Your insurer needs to know that you've removed the cat. If not then you have possibly modified your car without disclosing such information to them. Driving wihtout insurance is a bad idea.

Cats are not fitted to restrict performance. They are there to help the car in meeting emissions legislation.

It's a sorry situation that millions of pounds were spent in the research and development of the stratified charge engines (petrol fuelled) and lean burn engines just to be wasted and thrown aside by the introduction of cats across the board.

im maybe wrong but i thought it was illegal to remove the cat from a car after the year 1992
cause whats the point of having a performance restricting part that can be removed legally ???? only to be put back on for the mot for emissions purposes ?? or is it only illegal to remove the cat without informing the insurance company ??? not sure could you spread some light on this hdi

May I just point out the obivous. If it was illegal to remove a cat then you wouldn't be able to get a valid insurance. But all you do is declare it to your insurers. An no it's also not illegal not to tell them about any mod but it will invalidate your insurance "if" they find out.;) :D

Hi and welcome to TorqueCars. If the cat restriction is bothering you then go for a Sports cat. They will keep the emissions within tolerances.

To be honest though you will spend a lot of money on a 1.4 for very little power gain. If you have to mod it then do the brakes and suspension and make it more fun to drive. Then later on the car will be ready for an engine swap.;)

Stamford said: "im maybe wrong but i thought it was illegal to remove the cat from a car after the year 1992
cause whats the point of having a performance restricting part that can be removed legally ???? only to be put back on for the mot for emissions purposes ?? or is it only illegal to remove the cat without informing the insurance company ??? not sure could you spread some light on this hdi"

stamford didn't say ;)

(Herb said that)

First of all, welcome to the website mate. Second of all, I've gotta agree with Waynne. Your 1.4 won't produce enough power to make the mods worthwhile. A sports cat will get shredded apart on your car as well making that pointless. If you really insist on modding your engine then go for a de-cat with a full exhaust system, four branch manifold, fast road cams and a cold air intake. But that will only give you about 20-30 bhp. Engine swaps are the way!

welcome to tc mate

de-cat your car will 1, make it sound very loud and in my eyes horrible
2 as hdi said, it will fail the mot
3 drink loads of petrol

as for modding its hp ( im like you, wolf in sheeps clothing) its very hard to get huge bhp from a small litre car
youd need to spend thousands mate

bigger cams
port and polish
ecu
stainless steel header and exhaust system
skim the head for greater commpression
bigger injectors
and a load of other bolt on modds
change the pistons
and you'll end up with a car that will just about keep up with a 2.0

what i would do is keep the rear car as is, it might become a collectors item
then buy something with big bhp, a 97 type r will cost you less than the above modds
and youd have a car that will destroy a normal 2.0

best thing to do mate is have a good think about what you want, and add up the stats

welcome to tc mate

de-cat your car will 1, make it sound very loud and in my eyes horrible
2 as hdi said, it will fail the mot
3 drink loads of petrol

as for modding its hp ( im like you, wolf in sheeps clothing) its very hard to get huge bhp from a small litre car
youd need to spend thousands mate

bigger cams
port and polish
ecu
stainless steel header and exhaust system
skim the head for greater commpression
bigger injectors
and a load of other bolt on modds
change the pistons
and you'll end up with a car that will just about keep up with a 2.0

what i would do is keep the rear car as is, it might become a collectors item
then buy something with big bhp, a 97 type r will cost you less than the above modds
and youd have a car that will destroy a normal 2.0

best thing to do mate is have a good think about what you want, and add up the stats

Dissagree :D A de-cat will sound awesome with the right tail pipe. Plus if he keeps the old cat it can simply be put back on for the mot. Anyway cheapest option and it will give you plenty of power is a 50Bhp shot of nitrous :D:D

Dissagree :D A de-cat will sound awesome with the right tail pipe. Plus if he keeps the old cat it can simply be put back on for the mot. Anyway cheapest option and it will give you plenty of power is a 50Bhp shot of nitrous :D:D
doesnt nitros wear away the engine internals??

as for the de-cat, i had a sraight true stainless on my type r, it was leathal at the start, but after a lot of run ins with the law and a pain in my head every morning going to work, its not worth it

if he goes for it, thats his wolf in sheeps clothing gone
honestly mate, it will wreck your head:D

doesnt nitros wear away the engine internals??

as for the de-cat, i had a sraight true stainless on my type r, it was leathal at the start, but after a lot of run ins with the law and a pain in my head every morning going to work, its not worth it

if he goes for it, thats his wolf in sheeps clothing gone
honestly mate, it will wreck your head:D

No it will sound mint mate. But at the end of the day its individual preference. And if he blows the engine using nitrous then theres an excuse to do an engine swap....;):bigsmile::bigsmile::bigsmile:

No it will sound mint mate. But at the end of the day its individual preference. And if he blows the engine using nitrous then theres an excuse to do an engine swap....;):bigsmile::bigsmile::bigsmile:
thats true, stick in a williams clio engine= sorted:D

ive heard of them, the charade version, supposed to be unbeleivably quick

Yep and there are plenty of Uk based companies that would take this sort of conversion on. :D Prima Racing And K-Tec autodesign are just 2 there are plenty more. And I'm sure these companies will supply and fit everything needed for the conversion. :D:D:D

lol ^^^ i was in the same situation as you 6/7 months ago and you all say get a big bhp car he might be only 17 18 so he cant lol, i had a 1.4 rover mate and i was gonna spend about 3g on it to get about 50 bhp its not worth it just pop a nice exhaust on it a decent sound sytem upgrade the brakes suspension and tyres and you will go round corners faster than most cars its not all about straight line speed :D

what can i say, the response has been phenomenal!

Its helped me out no end and I think I'm nearing a decision.

I think im gonna focus initially on the cars breathing. With a free flowing manifold, sports cat and one of those stealth exhaust systems from KTEC.

Budget restrictions are firmly in place at the moment so any hints/tips as to where to get a bargain would be welcome :)

Thanks again for all you're and have a good xmas, innit.

Jeff :)

what can i say, the response has been phenomenal!

Its helped me out no end and I think I'm nearing a decision.

I think im gonna focus initially on the cars breathing. With a free flowing manifold, sports cat and one of those stealth exhaust systems from KTEC.

Budget restrictions are firmly in place at the moment so any hints/tips as to where to get a bargain would be welcome :)

Thanks again for all you're and have a good xmas, innit.

Jeff :)
for a decent and well priced exhaust try powerflow they will do any system you want cause they are custom made to your car

Renault 5 GT Turbo II anyone!
this is actually a good conversion for the clio especially if you own a 1.4 rt cause you can keep the original badges and have a sleeper but in all honesty you are not lieing you would be owning a 1.4 renault turbo :rolleyes:

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back