Tuning tips: Spark plug selection tips.

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
The spark is quite literally the life of the engine. A good strong spark makes the difference between thorough combustion and a misfire.#!Spark plug technology has come a long way over the last few years. First we will look back at the “good old days”. #!The components of a spark plug are primarily the tip, [...]
More...

What do you think of this tip then, read the article and post your comments in here.

Good article. The point about determining engine condition is a good one and something that we all did use as an indicator 20 plus years ago. If just one plug as a different colour to the rest you could suspect a local injector or valve problem.

I'm not sure that light black is the correct colour. (Not sure what light black looks like either :) ) More usually I remember them being a mid brown colour (not rust) but this is probably back in the days of 4 star fuel and the colour might well be down to lead fouling.

(Shows how long since I last worked on an engine).

What should I get fitted (notice that I won't be doing this myself) to the 5 series.

DENSO seems to be the maker of choice but do I use the Iridium ones or the Iridium TOUGH ones? I'm guessing with a naturally aspirated engine which is in standard tune (and standard tune is pretty soft, it's not s stressed engine) I don't have a need for the ultra-high prices ones as there's no thermal battering being administered to the plugs.