Tuning tips: Modified car insurance

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
We refer you to most insurance policies, particularly in the UK#! which state that all modifications to the car should be notified. Failure to do so will result in the policy being declared void and invalid. This in turn renders you liable to prosecution for driving without insurance and personally liable for damages and injuries [...]
More...

What do you think of this tip then, read the article and post your comments in here.

Modifying cars and insuring them is always going to end in tears for some people. I have known some to buy a modified car and then find they cannot insure it. What happens next? They decline to inform the insurance company of the mods done, a ticking timebomb!

There is no middle ground on this, do your homework and shop around before you entertain any modifications. Also get clarity on what is and what is not covered. Some companies will insure modified cars but in the event of a claim you will not get like for like replacement parts or in the event of a write off, you will only get the current market value for a standard version.

I have modified insurance with every modification declared, including the remap and I have full like for like cover which includes total coverage if it is written off.

Terminology, nice if it worked but when reading a stainless steel long life exhaust or servicable conical element air filter will still be categorised as aftermarket exhaust and induction kit!

On my form they also asked who carried out the work and what their qualifications were. In my case I said I did the work and was a time served toolmaker with nearly 30 years engineering experience and with a Masters degree in engineering, think that might have helped?

Possibly yes. I doubt it would be beneficial if you'd lied to them though. [Edit: I know that you didn't lie

At lot of the problem with mods and insurance is that they make the car more visually appealing to thieves and more expensive to repair/replace in the event of a partial or total loss.

The change in performance is largely secondary, provided the work is done by legitimate operators.

That's part of the problem with DIY work. No matter how skilled you are, the underwriters are unable to put a value on he car becuase they cannot account for the 2000 hours you've spent working on it.

Last edited: