They're just copying

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Do you think car makers are just copying other makers designs? Who actually comes up with innovative designs in their new cars?

I'm thinking the Fiat Punto and now the Ford Fiesta are both trying to rip off the Aston Martin look? Or is it just me?

The new Ford grille is odd aye.

Trouble is now that everything is corporate no mainstream manufacturer is going to dare to to do anything too out of the ordinary. "Euroboxes" sell. The last mainstream car I can think of that looked a little bit different is the Fiat Multipla, and lets face it, we will NEVER see another car like the Clio V6.

Different shouldn't mean pig ugly though.

The Lotus Esprit, Fiat X1-9 & Coupe, Alfa Giuletta, Brera & Beta coupe, and even the Peugeot 406 Coupe are lovely looking cars that flew in the face of the mainstream but they are so few and far between.

I suppose the Nissan Juke counts as different? Are makers just to scared to try anything innovative? Where are the design skills going?

With the use of 'focus groups', wind tunnels, ever more stringent safety and emmision regulations, it's little wonder cars tend to end up looknig very similar.

However, go back 45 years and compare the Hillman Hunter with the Mk2 Cortina:

Last edited:

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back