Test drives on cars you wont buy

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Have you ever blagged a test drive in a car you have no intention of buying? If so which car and what were your thoughts.

Did you feel guilty? Was it hard work? What did you say to convince the dealer you were interested?

i just wait till one comes in for a mot and drive that one up the road as part of the test lol
worked on a few of my old cars

Tried it at the Aston Martin showroom and they asked for a 10k deposit or a credit card with a similar limit! (They said due to me having a license less than a year at the time).

Took a JCW Mini for a test drive as part of my training when I was selling cars (make you go into another random dealership and follow thier sales process). That was a bloody good laugh.

All I said was that I was in the army on leave (needed an excuse to have a Manchester accent in Milton Keynes lol). Followed that cause soldiers have loads of expendable income (sold an R32 to one a few days previous).

A few years back when the MG ZT came out I put on my one and only suit, blagged a test drive and was duly disappointed, hit the rev limiter so easily in that. It was the 160 KV6 mind, build quality and ride were excellent but lacking in the power department. A year or so later I blagged a drive in the new ZT-T 190 which was nice but still not that quick. Not really bothered that much since. The last time I did do a test drive I actually bought it!

me personally no but the bro inlaw used to get cars of bmw quite regularly when he had his mini. iirc he had the 1 series when it just came out the petrol and diesel, a cooper-s, a cooper diesel and all of these where offered to him with out even asking for them;)

I have done this once or twice only, but not for over ten years. I cannot be bothered now to be honest.

You're quite likely to get a drive anyway on a quiet day anyway. Chat up a bored salesman and confess that you have no intention of buying (at least, not just yet); they'll often capitulate just to kill an hour or so.