Teaching my Bro to drive properly

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
My brother owns a 1.2 Corsa. He only pootles round town at 25-30 and rarely goes above 50mph on dual carraigeways.

Suffice it to say that the car has been getting really clogged up and running lumpily. A new air flow meter and idle control valve later and the car is still not right.

Anyhoo I got him on a motorway after filling the tank with petrol and a good dose of redex and he gave it a good blow through in 3rd and 4th gear. The car is now running nicely.

Moral to the story.... "Cars are meant to be driven hard!"

Manufacturers do have to play safe to keep warranty repair costs down. There is the odd plonker who will use all of a 7600rpm limit from stone cold.

One of my neighbours is a funny one for that. He seems to think that you need your foot on the gas to start the engine on a modern car. Twit.

I was taught to start the engine and then run through checks and put seatbelt on before pulling away so the engine can at least try and get some oil around the engine before any hooning takes place.

its actually very bad for cars not to be driven hard, especially engines designed to be fast,

redline every gear is what i say, once warmed of course

I've only just been taught the error of my ways in this respect. Since found out that over 3500 my car sounds absolutely beastly! Can't wait to get a better exhaust manifold and back box, sports cat and giant muffler tip =]