TDI Mk5 Jetta - Hello

1sweetride

Wrench Pro
Car
VW TDI Jetta Mk5
Always hunting to get other experiences to get more out of my car. I have done alot already to her .... first her name, you have to name your car as it is much of the same as a boat, no name and you will not have good luck and it has to be the right name. My TDI is named Sweetdee. I have a 3" cold air intake, RC remapped 1+, 3" downpipe (not yet instaled but in the garage waiting for it to warm up here, with a 3" exhaust), angel eye light replacements, chrome headlight sourounds, chrome tail light sourounds, chrome trim on the trunk, HP 19" rims, custom center console (still in process), clear turning lights, multi color fog lights, R32 grill not installed as I have a custom painted grill on now, chrome trim on door handles and door siles. I am sure there is more that just is not coming to mind. anyway hello.

IT sounds like you really look after sweetdee. I hope you post up some pics of your mods when you get to 10 posts, we'd all like to see them.

I am 10 minutes south of Washington DC. I have many pics to share and desire t get as much information to making my sweetdee better as much as I can to share my experiences with all of you. I love working on my car / s as I have a 1965 mustang, 1949 chevy pickup, 1948 chevy pickup, 3 1949 plymouths and a 1933 ford. I take classes at the local high school for auto mechanics and have done so for the past five or six years. I am a car guy. Now this is my first Diesel so I really get to have some fun. It is crazy the torque that can come from a four cyc. Anyway so that is the start of my story.

Ok so how do I upload photos?

Hello and welcome to TorqueCars. To upload pics or post them you need 10 posts. Drop a little bit of light hearted spam in the forum and you post count will shoot up. When you get your name in BOLD your account is upgraded.

Thats a good spec list. I bet you still get silly MPG out of it as well!;)

Welcome along bud.

I was in DC back in May, I have family in Annapolis, love the place. Looking forward to seeing some pictures of the other rides mentioned.

Yes I will post many pics as soon as possible. THe TDI club here in the Wash. D.C. area is trying to get a group together to take shots from around town. Should be interesting. Thanks for the tip on posting as I am going to be involved so no spamming will be required as I can always throw out a good comment. What a great Site!

Thanks for the question, so for the engine I have a cold air intake (3") goes down to the drivers side front lower grill, plus a 3" downpipe with a 3" exhaust with cat delete which I will put on next month. I also got her tuned with Rocketchip a local widely respected tuner here in the states. I got a RC 1+ becuase that is as far as he would go, I wanted him to push it further but he wouldn't. Not sure why.

As for the interior swapping out to the Pioneer Avic N2 (later model but still eye grabbing headunit) I now am in process of of replacing all of my speakers but getting the door panels off is a real task, whatever happened to speaker covers. Removing the door panels is a bear. Plus I just got my paint and fiberglass to start finishing my center console as it is all chopped up at the moment as I could not stand the bar that would dig into my right knee why driving so I took a dremel to it, hehhehehhee hahahha buzzz buzzzzzzz. Now I have a image in my head on how I want it to look so it just will have to be when I get some free time to start playing with it.

A note to VW corp. - DONT TAKE SPACE AWAY FROM THE DRIVER, WE LIKE LEG ROOM.

could be because its a newer engine and theres not been alot done to it, the older 1.9 engine had plently of tuning options as so many had worked on it.

youll need to get some pics up asap as wanting to see what your doing to the central console.

As for the interior swapping out to the Pioneer Avic N2 (later model but still eye grabbing headunit) I now am in process of of replacing all of my speakers but getting the door panels off is a real task, whatever happened to speaker covers. Removing the door panels is a bear. Plus I just got my paint and fiberglass to start finishing my center console as it is all chopped up at the moment as I could not stand the bar that would dig into my right knee why driving so I took a dremel to it, hehhehehhee hahahha buzzz buzzzzzzz. Now I have a image in my head on how I want it to look so it just will have to be when I get some free time to start playing with it.

A note to VW corp. - DONT TAKE SPACE AWAY FROM THE DRIVER, WE LIKE LEG ROOM.

I did a drawing for a jetta like yours (bora here in europe) hope you wanna see it and let me know what you think of it.

PGARNER - I am with you, my hats off to the gents that do good body work, sand is a &itch. I painted my front bumper cover and front grill and it was a nightmare of sanding.

89d1230631329-my-drawings-logos-tc-vw-bora-pgarner.jpg

like a said its the Mk4 to you give him a few days with a pic and id say hed do a good drawiing

yeah im halfway through a carputer install here ive spent the best part of 4 hours sanding it smooth or sading off the paint that didnt sit right. going to sand it right back to the filler tomorrow and start the painting from scratch.

as im fitting it in the radio cage it means im doing away with my guages but wanting to keep them means im going to fabricate them into the lower dash in where the ashtray is

could be because its a newer engine and theres not been alot done to it, the older 1.9 engine had plently of tuning options as so many had worked on it.
Yes your right on the money, although even with it short life of the 1.9 tdi or brm engine many are out there searching for a exhaust manifold that can accomidate either a large turbo or a dual setup. A dual set up would be so awesome, a small turbo for the low end and the other to kick the _hit out of a V8. A big black cloud of smoke for them to digest. The problem is space in the rear of the engine where the current turbo sits, the exhaust manifold, and which turbos, oh and most importantly COST!:blink:

not really, there is a 1.9 unit in the uk with 240bhp and just shy of 400 ftlb torque (540Nm). the less weight of the 1.9 over a 5ltr gives it extra help as well.

the 1.9 was round for a while, dont think it was released in the US for a long time. there are '89 audis floating about with early 1.9 with the 90 hp engine

"

"not really, there is a 1.9 unit in the uk with 240bhp and just shy of 400 ftlb torque (540Nm). the less weight of the 1.9 over a 5ltr gives it extra help as well."

Ok so where do you find this engine, what great numbers. Keep in mind VW gave us the 1.9 with only 100bhp I have guesstamating around 140bhp and once I do the exhaust i figure near 150bhp. If I can get a go lead on some injectors (150) then I might be round 200 but this is really pushing on the sachs clutch. The clutch whihc should be rated for 250bhp is failing in the US cars mostly in the TDI class. Maybe to much torque. I want to swap that out also for a more higher end performance clutch. I have a b&m short shifter again with the limited time and already having VW replace 3 transmissions, 3 flywheels, and 3 clutches I am waiting to install the short shifter just a bit longer.

like a said its the Mk4 to you give him a few days with a pic and id say hed do a good drawiing

yeah im halfway through a carputer install here ive spent the best part of 4 hours sanding it smooth or sading off the paint that didnt sit right. going to sand it right back to the filler tomorrow and start the painting from scratch.

as im fitting it in the radio cage it means im doing away with my guages but wanting to keep them means im going to fabricate them into the lower dash in where the ashtray is

What year and Model car is this that your working on?

I like the OEM look for somethings and love the modded look for some others. The interior overall in the mk5 jettas I relly think is outstanding and when considering between a Mercedes, BMW or VW after all is said and done I think VW comes with almost as nice a package but for half the cost.

over here there was a lot of varations on the 1.9
  • and 150

the skoda vrs, the car that engine is in, has the 130 engine as standard. the boy has pretty much uprated everything - hybrid turbo, water/meth injection propane injection. and i think he had nitrous in it as well for an extra bang.
it was up for sale but i dont think anybody was willing to pay what he wanted. so as much as possible was reverted back and part exchanged.

mine is 2003 bora (jetta Mk4) with the later 1.8t unit

does the Mk5 still use the 1.9 ? i thought they had convered to the newer 2.0 unit

sorry, my mistake, confused.

does the Mk5 still use the 1.9 ? i thought they had converted to the newer 2.0 unit

Yeah they used the 2009 model to pump out the "new" 2.0 with 140bhp. VW did not have a diesel for sale in the US for 2007/2008 so the US had a one and a half year exposure time to the 1.9 ltr before it was gone. Now I heard that the 1.9 (brm motor) is really well built and has a good reputation in the Euros. My desire is to get more speed out of it.

not many use the brm engine over here ( took me ages to find out what 1 it was. 105 bhp PD engine ) its the 130 engine, think its awx, which is more widly used over here.
the whole VAG group uses this engine where as only VW and SEAT used the 150bhp engine and even then only in very few applications Golf Bora and Leon

the 2.0 unit was avalible from the 2004 over here, and the later 170 sports model the next year. drove the 140 engine in novermber for a week while mines was getting fixed up and have to admit the pull it had was amazing.

did the passat or audi A4 , A6 use the 130 engine in the states if they did it might be an idea looking for an engine out of them. theres a few different parts between the 2 engines

I drove the new 2009 140bhp Jetta and after all my mods I feel its about the same. So if I got the newer engine with all the mods I have done then it would be more zippy. Engine swaps are expensive.

By the way not to be to simple minded here, but it is great that people can get on a site like this and talk about the same cars from all over the world. The internet rocks.

oh yeah the newer engine, especially if you get the sports model released over there, they can get big gains just with the remap along.

yip although it gets confusing when we talk about a car youe never heard of and vice versa

oh yeah the newer engine, especially if you get the sports model released over there, they can get big gains just with the remap along.

yip although it gets confusing when we talk about a car youe never heard of and vice versa

Yeap like I have never haerd of a Rover. I mean we have Land Rover is that the same. But Land Rover here in the states does not sell any cars, just boxy over priced SUVs.

the came under the same group, why do you think BMW owned then for a while
A) Mini
B) 4x4's after they released the X5 rover went for sale.

charger

moskvich
zastava

not heard of them two

have you heard of these cars:

skoda - Heard of it from the forums but only see a small few of pics

seat - Never heard of it and never seen one!

renault - They sold these along timeago here i the US but not widely accepted or imbrassed.

citroen - Seen one in a movie.

gaz - Never heard of it and never seen one!

moskvich - Never heard of it and never seen one!

lada - Never heard of it and never seen one!

zastava - Never heard of it and never seen one!

fiat - They sold these along timeago here i the US but not widely accepted or imbrassed.
????

I wonder what US car companies are listed in your area.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back