Starlet Turbo Chatter

tgdarwell

Car
Starlet GT Turbo
First post....Complete n00b to this site and to starlets, just swapped my BMW 328 for a starlet gt turbo.
I've been watching videos on youtube of turbo chatter (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hmvi2rMS6JM) and love the sound, but people are arguing weather it is the turbo making the noise or bov and if its good for the turbo and how to get this noise.
Some comments completely contradict other peoples, so i was wondering if there's anyone out there that actually knows what they're talking about can make all this clear for me! Cheers :D

Hello and Welcome.

Your post got stuck in the moderation queue as you require 10 posts before you can upload pics or links. I've approved it for you this time mate.;)
Have a wander round an you'll soon hit 10. :)

that's definately turbo chatter, it's usually achieved by blanking off the recirc valve, and as long as you keep the boost to below 16psi the turbo should be fine.

I love the way people just pick a random number and go "ah yeah it'll be fine". Must be a massive change from 16psi to 17psi to suddenly make it damageing to not run a recirc LOL.

I love the way people just pick a random number and go "ah yeah it'll be fine". Must be a massive change from 16psi to 17psi to suddenly make it damageing to not run a recirc LOL.
you'v got to have some sort of cut off point, from my experience once you get into the high teens low 20's thers more danger of the turbo stall causing problems. I'v been running my car at 16 psi for the past 18 months with a blanked off recirc valve with no issues at all. it's all well and good spouting off figures from books, but personal experience means more to me.