stainless exhaust

02paynemi

Tuner
Car
A3 1.8t quattro T
Is it possible to get old tired stainless steel exhaust back to the shine it used to have... sanding? Polishing? Has anyone done this? Mine has a tired patchy golden brown colour with slight surface rust.

Is it possible to get old tired stainless steel exhaust back to the shine it used to have... sanding? Polishing? Has anyone done this? Mine has a tired patchy golden brown colour with slight surface rust.
ask your mam, or even your grandmother on this 1
theres stuff they used in the old days for cleaning stainless steel sinks, and that stuff worked wonders, i dont know the name of it ( your mother would know) but that should sort it out mate, its worth a try anyway, you'll have nothing to lose:D

Local hardware shop, if that is, there are any left, and get some stainless steel cleaner. It's basically a mild abrasive. You might even find that T-Cut or similar will do the job.

Local hardware shop, if that is, there are any left, and get some stainless steel cleaner. It's basically a mild abrasive. You might even find that T-Cut or similar will do the job.
you know the stuff im on about hdi, brilliant isnt it??:D

Also if there's patches of surface rust or pitting it's more likely to be chromed steel, so I wouldn't recommend anything too abrasive. :D

A small dremil with a polishing disk will really make the job a lot easier. A good metal polish afterwards will help to prevent further corrosion but you will need to be careful if it has a chrome finish.

Dura-Glit soaked swabs is best or Brasso will do it.

I've always used brasso. I've just been an fetched some so I can do the intercooler while the turbo is out. Just to make it look a bit more respectable if anything. I may even take the rear box off the exhaust and do that too. :D