Stages...What are they?

bigbadjoe

Pro Tuner
Car
Evo 8 @ 400bhp
Am I being a complete moron here? But I have never got my head around what stage 1, stage 2, stage 3 and so on convertions/upgrades mean.

I have been told buy someone that he had a VXR with a stage 3 exhaust, with a stage 2 induction kid and a stage 2 remap.

WHAT THE !$*#?????

He then asked what stage is yours at. I didn't have a clue.

I just said I got a Full induction, Exhaust straight off the turbo with a bigger exhaust housing off the trubo, remap and so on. What stage is mine at?? Any one want to help??

How do you differ the stage? I have trid looking on tinterweb but you can buy diferent stage things but they dont expalin why they are a higher stage.

it really depends on the manufacturer. what one might class as stage one ,for example on induction, could just be a basic panel filter. stage 2 open cone with maybe a different intake pipe, stage 3 huge cone, different MAF etc

How tho? Does it not depend on what is best for the car? As putting a cone on mine would be pointless according to some miti experts. They told the previous owner (a good mate of mine) to cut a section out of the box and put in a HKS pannell. They said that was far more efective than a cone as there is not enough air flow for a cone.

A cone might bring me an extra 3-4bhp, where as the advise from miti would give me maby an extra 5-6bhp. Yet a cone could be classed as a three, and the advise by the experts, a stage 1.

Well aye, it's arbitrary depending on who's defining the terms.

"Stage 1" is usually things like intake/exhaust but can sometimes mean just a remap.
"Stage 2" can be a remap PLUS intake/exhaust, but can sometimes mean a remap plus a bigger intercooler.
"Stage 3" usually means more complex engine mods, like bigger throttle bodies, camshafts, gas-flowing.

Read up on this http://www.cartuningtips.com/140-car-tuning-stages

Stage one are simple stand alone mods.
Stage two need other mods to be done at the same time and stage three is typically for track day use and not that easy to live with on a daily basis.

The terms are farily meaningless but are often quoted by tuning companies, often they just mean more agressive or for a bigger power gain in each step or stage.

So according to both YuGuy and Waynne, I have a stage two, and in March when I get my 264's/272's (not decided yet) cams installed with another remap, she will be at stage 3?

More correctly she will have some stage 3 mods but there will still be other stage 3 mods that can be applied.

Nothing like the olden days when things were easier to define. It used to depend on levels of headwork, cams and carbs. Too many permutations today.

It's a thing designed for people who don't really know a whole lot about cars, or how to mod them. Waynne's description is wrong imo as some companies are using stage 4 and 5 these days. Stupidity really as a "stage 3" set of mods for one car isn't usually comparable to a "stage 3" set of mods for another.

Best thing to do is ignore it and if anyone mentions it just look at them as though they are retarded and you haven't got a clue what they're on abooooot. You may shrug if you feel this is necessary.

Agree with MA (WHAT am I saying? :) ) One company's Stage 3 in another's Stage 1 so, unless you are comparing a particular company's products only, ignore them as there is no definitive definition anymore.

It's a thing designed for people who don't really know a whole lot about cars, or how to mod them. Waynne's description is wrong imo as some companies are using stage 4 and 5 these days. Stupidity really as a "stage 3" set of mods for one car isn't usually comparable to a "stage 3" set of mods for another.

Best thing to do is ignore it and if anyone mentions it just look at them as though they are retarded and you haven't got a clue what they're on abooooot. You may shrug if you feel this is necessary.

:D So baisicly what I have been doing anyway!!

I always thought I was the one knowing less, but if your statement is tru, it is the others who just try and sound like they know what they are on about.

Sod em. :D

ditto there is no definitive answer

However My stages ( by no means technically correct) for a turbo engine would be

1 the bits you can easily bolt on without touching the engine - exhaust induction boost controller . bigger intercooler plus ECU/remap etc

2 Bits without taking the engine apart - Larger FMIC . injectors , turbo(s) better ECU with complete map . ( some put cams and belts etc in this stage)

3 for fast road use maybe some track
engine out and complete rebuild with forged engine if neccessary. plus cams , bored out . head work , even bigger turbo(s) plus supporting mods better pumps gaskets belts etc

I would also have a 4 for racing which is 3 taken to extreme

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back