spot welds

herb

modherbrator
Car
Seat Leon Cupra
ive just removed the rubber bushes from my wishbones. and after a quick google search i realise that the metal ring that are still in the wishbones have got to come out.
but they are spot welded in place. so im just wandering would it be best to wait and get my mate this weekend to use use his welder to remove the rings? or just get a hammer and chisel on them?

you upgrading them or just replacing them
if replace just change the arms as normaly buses dont last very long once pressed in

other then that they should not be welded not normaly

i'm poly bushing them;)

and they definitely have welds around the old bushes metal ring

DSC00263.jpg
DSC00262.jpg
not the best pic but you can see the welds

does the new poly buses come with the ring if not
you not press the new ones in
as they dont look like they shoud come off

I'd have thought the poly bush would press into that ring, it looks like a permanent part of that wish bone, also it looks like weld beads to me rather than spot welds & it would take a bit of work to grind it all out.

You managed to free that nut off then, did it take long? :bigsmile:

does the new poly buses come with the ring if not
you not press the new ones in
as they dont look like they shoud come off

cheers for the reply matt!! the ring of the wishbone was so caked in crap it just looked like 1 piece. so on clser inspection and a bit of scraping. i realised the metal ring of the old bush was there but hidden. so 5 minuets later withe a hacksaw it was out:)
DSC00266.jpg

I'd have thought the poly bush would press into that ring, it looks like a permanent part of that wish bone, also it looks like weld beads to me rather than spot welds & it would take a bit of work to grind it all out.

You managed to free that nut off then, did it take long? :bigsmile:

yeah the welds are part of the wishbone not the bush as i realised after a while:embarrest:

yep the nut freed easily after a good soaking of wd40 and my new ratchet with its extension on (which you showed me how to use properly:embarrest::lol:)

all in it took me 2hrs to do the n/s wishbone 1hr getting the wheel nut covers off:mad: 20 minuets with that stubborn bolt, 30 minuets hacksawing the ball joint of:sad2:
DSC00256.jpg
and 10 to put the new 1 0n
and the o/s took me 30 minuets to take of and replace

we have all been tricked with things like that

and have had plenty of ball joint nuts like that but a pair of mole grips on the shaft have to cut the rubber out the way does the job
or jacking it up under the joint holds it better thats if its not hitting the cv

we have all been tricked with things like that

and have had plenty of ball joint nuts like that but a pair of mole grips on the shaft have to cut the rubber out the way does the job
or jacking it up under the joint holds it better thats if its not hitting the cv

1st time for me cause first time poly bushing, but as you said in your previous post its easier/best to just change the whole wishbone which is what i normally do

i did try hammering/jacking the ball joint back up but the nut would only go so far before hitting the cv joint:sad2:
as for the mole grips i'll remember that for next time:bigsmile: