something old - something new

elvispr

Car
Elliott-Healey 6000
hello- I have been working on an old Austin Healey 3000 (1962) and coupled it with a new LS2 GM motor (6.0L). Took a few years to get things right but have it on the road about 2 years now and it is quite a blast. I will try to upload a pic or two to the pictures section.
I am researching other swaps at the moment with an eye toward next project, which is the reason for registering for this site. I actually have another LS motor (Z06) which has also been retro converted i.e. back to carburetion as FI does not look correct in older cars. Glad to hear from any one with LS swap aspirations or questions. Cheers

Hello there and may I wish you a warm welcome to TorqueCars. It sounds like you have been totally smitten by the car modding bug.

Did the conversion take long? What problems did you have to overcome? What gearbox did you use?

conversion took about 4 years- several false starts- originally repairing steel wings became replacing with aluminum (funny but expensive story); original chassis abandoned after insidious rust worm detected - requiring fabrication of substantially upgraded frame rails and outriggers; original motor planned 305c.i. was abandoned as too low tech/low power; switched to 4L80E gearbox which allows manual or auto operation (and low 0-60 times since it can be done in 1st gear-- without need for ECM input- end result is alloy motor in alloy bodied car- which I have decided to buff rather than paint. I seriously underestimated the time required for dry and wet sanding necessary to get mirror finish. About 80% done with that- to be continued when Spring arrives- tried doing it in my garage but the aluminum dust went everywhere.

One area of major re-do was rear suspension- going from original underslung to narrowed Chrysler 8-3/4" with coil overs 4 link and track bar and 4 wheel disc brake
conversion including front upgrade to slotted drilled BMW rotors that interchange with later 3000

Hello and welcome from me. Wow sounds like a great car. Been a lot of talk about dropping a GM V8 into 944s but not seen one done in this country maybe your side of the pond there's more companies that'll take it on.
Do you get any stick from purists who like to see the old cars keep there originality like "only a straight six should be in a Healy"?
Can't wait to see some pics of this car :cool:

Hello and welcome from me. Wow sounds like a great car. Been a lot of talk about dropping a GM V8 into 944s but not seen one done in this country maybe your side of the pond there's more companies that'll take it on.
Do you get any stick from purists who like to see the old cars keep there originality like "only a straight six should be in a Healy"?
Can't wait to see some pics of this car :cool:
THere is an outfit called Renegade Hybrids out of Las VEgas, Nevada of all places who have kits and bits to do V8's into Porsche 911 and Porsche 928-
the latter of which I may pursue - but currently I am throwing a wide net to see what else others are doing.
I have had one purist with negative comment out of over a dozen showings-
most people are impressed with the overall accomplishment since it is designed to look like a factory rally car of the '60's until you get really up close and under hood. Vintage Healey gauges were adapted so cockpit is not a giveaway and the shifter many times is mistaken for a straight manual.

ohh the polishing would be killing.
ive polished a few small things, nothing on a car, and it takes ages working through all the various grits
currently over 200 hours myself and approx 80 by helper-I also tallied the sandpaper cost - over $300 to date. I have some left over, but I need some grits as the job is not finished yet. started out originally by hand and later dual action but dry 220, 320, 400, 500 then wet 500, 100, 1500, and 2000 then repeat until it starts approaching mirror reflecting. buffing itself is also more of an art, as I am still learning from the various rouge and wheel combos and the progression from rough to fine to very fine buff. Feel like a jeweler somedays but my pockets are empty.

Had a Merkur XR4Ti with turbo (4 years) which was a lot of fun but for my driving at the time (to work etc) the lag and need to spool up left me looking for other alternatives at the end of the lease. How difficult is it to do conversions or swaps within regulatory framework? In NY anything over 25 years qualifies for a different inspection routine,
which allows carbs over efi for example.

Yeah Renegade Hybrids is the company that seems to crop up most of all as the people to ask. I think the costs involved in importing parts over to here, especially the engine, is what kills the idea before it gets started. Seen some conversions on YouTube done on 944s. Not seen a V8 911 as thats rear engined and the 928 as that already has a 4.5ltr to 5.4ltr 350bhp V8 engine already fitted :bigsmile: 928Motorsports are the guys for tuning those in the US and Paul Anderson 928 Motorsports in the UK, if anyone is interested:amuse:

Did you take photos of the build? Be good to see a separate thread on this as seems quite a labour of love on your behalf.

Andy

I have a fair number of pictures over the years - 2002 up to summer '09 and will post when allowed. One of the benefits of doing a project over several years is stepping back and reviewing current versus final vision and making running changes, as needed. This project started out as an alternative to a tricked out Mini but went rogue with switch from a tuned port injection 305 ci with cast iron to an all alloy 405bhp crate motor. Several other upgrades result in only 15% of original donor car being utilized today.

Sounds real nice. Know anything about American classics, possibly shipping. I have been finding some interesting info. One site AmericanCarImport.co.uk seemed to be pretty knowledgeable. Does anyone have any experience? Did You have to do a lot of part sourcing? Did you find anything interchangable with what was available for you, at least what was still stock, LOL.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back