sierra sapphire 2.0

tabbra182

Car
Renult Clio
hi all iv got a 2ltr sierra sapph an im gona do an engine change the one i hav in mind is the 2.9 v6 cosworth 24v out of the ford granny some people hav told meits unreliable an others have said ill never hav to take a spanner to it????? so im a bit torne on wot to do but my original plan wos to put the v6 in with the capri 2.8 type 9 gear box an the xr 4x4 prop an lsd,, if eny ones got a sugestion of eny other engines feel free to tell, cheers all :D

If they are well maintained you should be fine. I think the problem you will have is fitting it in the Sierra engine bay. It is a pretty tight fit in the Granada.

Why not get the 2.0 Cosworth red top engine? This will probably give you better economy than the 2.9 and similar power.

MTX 75 gearbox is the one to go for IMO, it is pretty solid and the ratios are nicely setup.

The 24v Cossie lump and the type 9 Gearbox are pretty bombproof, as long as they have been looked after properly as Waynne said,

Have you thought about fitting a slightly newer, more modern engine like a Duratec V6 or similar? Noble used the Duratec with twin turbo's and got a reliable 450bhp from it so it shouldn't be overlooked

MTX 75 gearbox is the one to go for IMO, it is pretty solid and the ratios are nicely setup.

This is for FWD vehicles and the Sierra and Sapphires are either RWD or 4WD. I think you may be thinking of the MT75 as this comes in both 2WD and 4WD flavours.

Personally, I wouldn't put a Type 9 behind a Cosworth YB. Best to use the much stronger T5.

cheers for all the advice im goin for the v6 24v instead of the red top because the v6 has 200 bhp naturally aspirated wen the red top runs 200 bhp around about with a turbo an i read in fast ford that if you twin turbo the v6 it could achieve up to about 500 - 600 bhp

The 24v Cossie lump and the type 9 Gearbox are pretty bombproof, as long as they have been looked after properly as Waynne said,

Have you thought about fitting a slightly newer, more modern engine like a Duratec V6 or similar? Noble used the Duratec with twin turbo's and got a reliable 450bhp from it so it shouldn't be overlooked

isnt the duratec out of fwd mondeo will it fit cuz the sierra is rwd

isnt the duratec out of fwd mondeo will it fit cuz the sierra is rwd
Yes, just turn the engine through 90 degrees ;)

Actually, it is a lttle bit more involved than that, but I believe the adaptors are available to connect the engine to a proper gearbox :)

Last edited:
i would love to do that because its alot newer engine but it seems alot of time, and money aha an the car im doing it to is my evry day car i dont own another car so its got to be off the road for minimum amount of time if ya know wot i mean

It is indeed, the saving grace with this one is there are so many kit cars that use the Sierra running gear that there is a huge selection of adapter plates to fit the type 9 gearbox, you could run any engine you wanted. It would just be a case mounting it properly. I've seen Vauxhall XE's, Pinto's, V6/8's allsorts using the original Sierra gearbox

hi all long time lol iv still got the sierra and i have an engine for it ......finally lol.
picked up a rover v8 3.5 am now looking for an lt77 gear box to stick on the back of it, just wondering if anyone knows of a place to recon my carbs an manifold in the midlands area.

progress over the last 2 years has been slow but the cars been fully welded, there was quite abit of rot, its been fully undersealed and had a full re-spray. just need to get a prop made when its all in an welded engine an gear box mounts.
lots of fun ahead aha