sidepipes?

jetlag700

Torque Junkie
Car
1988 Jaguar XJS 5.3
Do you know where I can get sidepipes for my 1988 Jaguar XJS 5.3 V12 ?~!~!There's lots of sidepipes for Corvettes but I can't find anything for the XJS. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks, Donna:?::wink:

Can a corvette one be modified to fit?

I don't know, the problem is trying to fit 6 cylinders out each side into one of the sidepipes from the engine bay instead of 4 cylinders out each side which is what the Corvette would use. I have only seen one Jaguar XJS with sidepipes and it was a race car, from Group 44 racing team. I wrote to them and never got an answer, so I a still looking. :amazed:

It just really needs a custom header or a standard header adapted to fit the silencer pipe. I think that most exhaust fitters would be able to sort something out along these lines, effectively merging the two components together. The bigger problem is mounting a side exit exhaust on the car.

Are you looking for a silencer running along the car exiting by the rear wheel or a little further forward?

You should also think about a heat shield as you can get a nasty leg burn on a side exit exhaust.

Do you not have a custome exhaust shop you can go and visit and see if they can make one for you.

It just really needs a custom header or a standard header adapted to fit the silencer pipe. I think that most exhaust fitters would be able to sort something out along these lines, effectively merging the two components together. The bigger problem is mounting a side exit exhaust on the car.

Are you looking for a silencer running along the car exiting by the rear wheel or a little further forward?

You should also think about a heat shield as you can get a nasty leg burn on a side exit exhaust.

Hi Wayne, I would have the pipe exit right in front of the rear wheel and no closer to the drivers window, there isn't alot of room between the drivers window and the front of the rear wheel, I don't want to be huffing exhaust fumes.
I think the trick is finding enough room for custom headers, there isn't alot of room in the engine bay. I think that putting custom headers on will get rid of the "drone" sound and compliment the firing order of the engine as it criss crosses the left and right banks.
As for the heat sheilds, maybe I would leave it off to give thieves a lesson in what it means to have "hot" stuff. Someone tried to steal the headlights and bumper off my car~!~! Makes me real mad, so mad I can't even say it on this forum without breaking the slander and profanity rules. LOL, Yeah, I think I will take it to a custom muffler shop, the problem is that most of the muffler shops here deal with stock crap and have no idea or talent to think outside the box, especially on an older British car~!~!~!

Do you not have a custome exhaust shop you can go and visit and see if they can make one for you.
Maybe the best idea would be to visit some of those guys who build hotrods and see what they can come up with, like i said the muffler shops here don't deal with too much custom stuff epecially on older British cars. Since I have had this car up here in September, I have had three people tell me they have never even seen a Jaguar XJS~!~!, One was a man in September 2009, and the other two were two women at a gas station I was at about three weeks ago, and the Jag mechanic says that there aren't many of these cars around so so no one does alot of work on them..........you can imagine my frustration. But I dont' give up easily.....so here goes.....I will continue look til I get what I want.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Yeh would be worth chekcing out anyway if nothing else. I have a place called Custom Chrome Exhausts near me and i've taken nearly every car i've ever owned to that place as they can make any shape for anything and are not badly priced either.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back