Secondary Oil Cooler

HDi fun

TC ModFather
Car
Passat 2.0 TDi
Help!! - I need to reduce the oil temperature of my re-mapped diesel 406. Anyone know of a supplier/fitter of oil coolers?

It's getting too hot under general/hard driving conditions.

Rgds,

Paul.

I've kinda got to that point in my own mind too. The car has a factory standard oil/water heat exchanger anyway but I'm trying to cool the turbo more than it is cooled at the moment.

The turbo is air cooled only but it's on the back of the engine so there's sod all airflow - typically French design.

Would it be worthwhile using a coolant additive (purple ice?) to aid oil/water heat transfer in the meantime?

Purple ICE is a good bet. Is the engine oil regularly changed? Is it a diesel formulation? Have you looked into a larger oil cooler instead of a secondary one? Uprate the turbo to one with ball bearings instead of thrust bearings and it will run cooler and spool up more freely.

You could always cut a vent in the bonnet - I know you like the sleeper look but in hot weather you need all the help you can get.

starters wots purple ice ?

have you ever thought of running a flexi pipe around to the cooler if its at the back. similer to what most people do with cheap induction kits.

i know its basic but might help a bit. only down side is it aint going to help when your sitting in traffic not moving

Traffic is not the problem. It's the heat build up during heavy use (and, yes, I can dish out some therapy to the engine). The car has a factory fit oil/water heat exchanger anyway - I'm just looking for a way to remove excess heat from the turbo.

I use MIllers XFD and it's changed every 6000 miles along with a new filter and is flushed before the change.

I'm stuck here, but can anyone tell me if oil temps of 110 to 120 celcius are OK or not?

Thought id bring this one back up HDI your oil is not supposed to be above 120 it works best at around 90 degrees above 130 it really starts to break down

I have changed to AMSOIL's fully synthetic 5w/40 (from Millers FS 5w/40) and this does seem to keep things around 100c.

We've also lowered the boost a little to assist with this.

Thanks for posting.