Scrappage scheme your thoughts

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
What are your thoughts on the car scrappage or cash for clunkers schemes?

Would the money have been better spent elsewhere?

yes i would of been better spent on are armed forces
ok put a bit more money in the dealers but has taken it out of 2nd hand cars as the cheap little ones are just not around

and also taken it out of my side of it for the next 3 years the mot trade is going to be so many 1000's short and servicing ect

I know people with all the money that can afford to buy new cars will agree with it but I personally think it is a really bad thing.

All of us new drivers and people who cannot afford expensive cars are having to spend more money on a run around because people know they can get more money out of them in the scrappage scheme.

My uncle used to be able to buy fair quality cars for £150, do them up and sell them for a profit, but since the scrappage scheme he just cant afford to do this due to the rise in cheap car prices.

waste of money - this hasnt helped the public as it was meant to, all it has done it give money to the car companies. Just look at the price of a new basic standard cars and its clear price raised significantly when the scrappage schemes were announced - another crafty policy from many govt's, clearly thought out to enable them to provide subsidies to the car industry without angering those country's who did not give handouts.

choness: "expensive" cars - need to be more specific, the scrappage scheme was aimed at the smaller cars in an effort to try and promote those that produce less pollutants (although imo this is a pointless exercise).

I think that choness means more than your couple of grand that a new driver would probably spend on their 1st or 2nd car compared to around 8or 9 k for a semi decent new car

But your right the companies have just whacked the price of the car up by over 2k

It's yet another effort by this incompetent and iiliterate government to persuade us, the voting populus, to think that it's doing something beneficial.

Anyone who has a car worth less than £2k and has maintained it properly will have no desire to part with it. Most won't have the money to replace it with a new one, either.

We have the old 96 Seat here. It's worth sod all. But we've had it for a million years or so, it's serviced to the eyeballs and works very well.

Now, if I was offered £2k against a new car, you might initally think that very attractive. But it's not the £2k I need, it's the other £13k to replace it with a new car that I need. There's nothing new at £15k that I fancy anyway.

It's New Labour's attempt to present itself as a caring government.

It's a bit annoying that newbies can't get our hands on cheap cars anymore. Which is what it sounds like is happening.