saab 93 1.9tid

parkster49

Car
93 1.9tid
Does anyone know wether i can increase the power of my 93 its already got the Hirsch upgrade but i wonder if there is any thing else that can be done.

Hi there and welcome to TorqueCars. What power gain did the Hirsch upgrade give you? I'm guessing that this is a remap.

Next mods for you could include a better flowing intercooler and better brakes.

What about an anti roll bar and better suspension. Strip out some weight if you want to make it faster.

Let's not go tearing comfortable cars to bits :-(

Saabs are pretty well set up in the dynamics department anyway.

Once you've pushed the limits of a diesel with a remap the law of diminishing returns take hold very quickly indeed. Cost becomes a big issue.

A hybrid turbo will certainly offer big gains but you'll possibly need high flow injectors and almost certainly additional cooling and a custom remap to make any use of it. A bigger intercooler will also help. The problem is where to fit all this extra kit. The engine bay of my own car is jammed full and I doubt the 93 is any different in that respect.

One thing you can try is to feed your car a diet of either Shell V-Power GTL diesel or BP Ultimate diesel. Supplement this with a double dose of Miller's DPS4 with each tank and you will get a higher cetane fuel which will increase performace quite noticeably.

All diesel cars respond well to higher cetane fuel, unlike petrol cars which frequently need to have ignition advance curves remapped to take advantage of high octane petrol.

Mine is the 150 bhp and the hirsch enhancement took it to 175 bhp, dont really want to get into replaceing loads of parts just wondered if there was more that could be done with the managment system, i've noticed that the newer models can be taken to 205 bhp, mines a 55 plate.

Mine is the 150 bhp and the hirsch enhancement took it to 175 bhp, dont really want to get into replaceing loads of parts just wondered if there was more that could be done with the managment system, i've noticed that the newer models can be taken to 205 bhp, mines a 55 plate.

I didn't know the exact engine in your car. If Hirsch has only managed 175bhp then read on:---

Celtic tuning (in whom I have immense faith) claim 212bhp and 327lbft for your year model with the 1910cc TiD engine. That engine is common to a lot of cars, Vauxhall uses it in the Vectra (not my favourite car by anyone's standards).

It's a Fiat derived engine and by all accounts is significantly undertuned like many modern common rail diesels. Manufacturers do this in order to try and maintain some market share for their petrol powered cars. If all diesels were sold at their correct performance point they's never shift a four cylinder petrol model at all.

Celtic's technicians are very cautious and sympathetic with their tuning methods - they don't just stove up the boost and fuelling at random.

The first part of the process is to smooth out the peaks and troughs of the torque curve. Only when that is done do they start opening up the performance potential.

My suggestion is this: Write off the Hirsch tune and let Celtic get to work. Your Saab will shift with a capital 'F' once they've performed their magic.

If you're concerned about reliability then consider that my car was remapped in April 2006, by Celtic (55,000 miles) and now has 129,000 miles on it with no issues whatsoever.

Last edited:
Have a look on partsforsaab web site as they do various upgrades. I`m surprised that the hircsh set up doesn`t give you more though. Maybe there`s a stage 2 upgrade available from them? -or just sell it and buy one of the twin turbo diesels. You can go to 220bhp with them!