S15 spec R

Wardian

Car
S15 spec R
Hi guys. I am looking to buy an S15 and I wanted to ask current owners what do they think of the car. Thanks

Hi and welcome|B
While I don't own an S chassis I have done quite a bit or research and they have a great chassis that have so many aftermarket suspension arms and body braces etc as well as the ability to mix and match stronger gearboxes and rear drive-line upgrades from Skylines.

The SR motor is IMO hampered by the camshaft and rocker arm layout that requires the installation of rocker stoppers to help the forked arms ( one cam lobe opens 2 valves) from dislocating at high revs However that can be rectified by installing a NEO head where the rockers are on a shaft and each cam lobe open only1 valve if you are a serious modifier with deep pockets :)

PS the SR 6 speed box is not as strong as the 5 speed.

PPS the winning 2016 World Time Attack S13 with a billet block and a Neo head was dynoed and made900 HP on a hub dyno.

Thanks for the details I am not an expert so I appreciate the advice. Thing is with the SR20det that comes with it I can only do 400whp if I want to keep the car reliable (that's what I was told) not sure if that's true...

Hello and a very warm, if a little late, welcome to TorqueCars from me the admin! Really nice to have you along.

Keep reading the articles on our site and this forum... you'll pick up loads of good common sense tips and don't be afraid to post questions, were all here to share our knowledge and experience.

We run a really fun and interesting car community and many have said we're the friendliest around, always ready to help out where we can.

Enjoy your time with us, post loads and feel free to ask any questions or begin new threads and discussions. We're always interested to hear your comments and views on our existing topics and in the hot polls.

Hi and welcome to TC forums.
Nissan JDM cars are brilliant but if you must have more than 400HP then may I suggest you consider its bigger brother in the form of the Skylines. All the RB straight six turbo and twin turbo engines can handle way more than 400HP easily. Even the newer Skylines with V6 n/a engines from the 350Z and 370Z can he turbo charged successfully for big power.

s15 s are nice cars but if you want that kind of power the 4 cylinder motor has its limits (as explained above).......

now you could drop an rb26 motor into it , and they do fit , then even 450 is a breeze and no stress as they should be bullet proof at that power level

Unfortunately GTR engines are not cheap now because all the GTRs are going up in value really quickly (gets smug hat out :p:p:p)

I agree with Brian/Sleeper that a RB 25/25 motor and drive-line is the best way to go for reliable power in an S chassis and there are a number of them at some events that I enter.
So I guess it all comes down to 5 things that quickly come to mind.
1 how much power do you really need/want?
2 What are you intending to use the car for ?
3 How deep are your pockets ?
4 Will it be road legal?
5 Can you afford full insurance cover for a highly modified car?

Hi Aerial Andy, the skylines here in Canada are super expensive so the best thing to do is drop the rb26 like Sleeper suggested.

TCJBOLDIE, my pockets are not deep at all :) but I can afford the rb26 engine plus the car. Building it is what will cost. They are legal here in Canada and I have been dreaming about it for yearrrrs so it's about time :)

350 HP atw will give you a very fast car that should do a sub 12 second 1/4 mile time if that's what floats your boat ;):)

I owned a 300 bhp golf R before and it was brutal I always want more so maybe I'll buy the car coz I can't afford a skyline, buy an rb26bett engine and slowly rebuild it.
Basically my goal is 500 to 600 bhp.

That's what I would do IF I had the $$$ and enough time left to build and enjoy it before going to a retirement village/nursing home.?-/

Should be a weapon and you will need a soft right foot to avoid tyre smoke and unwanted attention from the law if it is to be driven on public roads.

IIRC there was/seems to be a problem with oil drainage/ponding at the back of the head .
Hopefully Sleeper can enlighten both of us as to the fix.

Yea Sleeper should enlighten us...to be honest I have loads of reading to do as this is my first import :) but I'm super excited

if you want to go over 500hp its a no contest you should go rb26 . it isnt just another 100c
the rb26s are much stronger and easier to tune
Factory rb26s were limited to around 300bhp (was supposed to be 280 but nissan cheated)

simply by putting a boost controller decent ecu and exhaust you can see 400 and with 34 turbos which are cheap 450 plus is the norm with good response and thats on a stock motor. If you forge the motor then power can be as high as you want but response and wallet will be diminshed

If you want more with response they can be bored out and then the sky is the limit (assumimg your wallett is big enough)

That's what I would do IF I had the $$$ and enough time left to build and enjoy it before going to a retirement village/nursing home.?-/

Yes I had to escape from the nursing home and hope to have the giken finished before i am caught and comitted

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back