Rwd vs 4(a)wd

roryp15

Tuner
Car
VW Golf Gt Tdi
What do you all think about this ? Theres some people out there that swear by RWD but then you have all the benifets of AWD, more traction, better handling, better on snow/ice etc.

So what do you think ?

Was looking at a skyline was looking at GTR but then also have been thinking about the R33 GTST with its RWD and of course the cheaper price tag to start with and for thoses that say the GTST cant make power http://www.tunerzine.com/view_article/car_feature/going-gold have a look at that.

Now i know RWD can still have great acceleration ( M3, M5, M6 ) zonda, theres also a new ( dont know how to TBH ) lambo thats RWD. but im more worried about how does it compare to the likes of subarus, evos etc round the corners ?? I know you can drift them and get the back out but you cant do that safely all the time on public roads so without getting the back end out all over the place how do they compare?

:D

all want you want to do with it

if you want to race 4wd
fun rwd

i have never owned a fast 4wd only a landrover that goes side ways well in the mud lol

but i have had a load of rwd motors and the back end does come out if you are doing a bit more speed then you should be doing or you floor it to hard around a corner

like i say it all goes on what you want out of it for me it would be the fun rwd

Personally I'm a 4wd fan. We get so much crap weather in Britain, it makes the power much more usable on a daily basis.

One of the Skylines can be switched to RWD by pulling out a fuse. I'm sure we've covered this in the Skyline forum on here. That would be my top tip as you get the best of both worlds.

One of the Skylines can be switched to RWD by pulling out a fuse. I'm sure we've covered this in the Skyline forum on here. That would be my top tip as you get the best of both worlds.

Calibra Turbo's do this aswell. They transfer the power form the from the the rear when the front loses grip. Also, a common mod is to put a switch with a bit of wire where the fuse for the 4x4 goes, This allows you to switch between when ever you want :)

Hi Rory.
I dont know if this helps but i am currently converting my TDI Vrs to 4 x Motion using a written of Octy Scout as a donor car. Having worked on VAG cars a lot and driving and comparing especially with the latest Haldex Diff it's a real advantage . I know you are about more power in the cars you are talking about but the high torque of my TDI is enough for just FWD and i can prove that a standard 140bhp 4x4 is initially faster from a standing start up to about 40mph. the small weight penalty is well worth it for fast road use.So my opinion is 4 x wheel drive!.

Hope this helps
COOLMAN.

thanks to everyone for all the replys. :lol:
I was originaly looking at the evo 4 and 5 but im now leaning towards a 2 door car which is why i sayed the skyline gtst and you can put up a decent one for around 4K. Was also looking at subaru type R but theres loads of subarus going about so it wouldnt be any diffrent.

Could i convert the skyline GTST into 4wd ? how easy would that be :D or any other ideas?

for me im not a fan of rwd! the ones i have driven i have got the rear end out to easily (scary not fun imho!!) so im all for the awd:bigsmile:

and BAD63R i agree the first 1 is nice!
and its good to know god loves speed to:amuse:
1283225-3.jpg

AWD has to be the ultimate arrangement. Recently it's been less used and manufacturers just take advantage of stability management systems to take care of wheel slip and over/under steer conditions.

It's a compromise, but it's cost effective.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back