Running out of road.

obi_waynne

Administrator
Staff member
Car
A3 1.4 TFSI 150 COD
Have you ever overtaken a car behind another car overtaking to realise he has no power and it takes forever with you stuck behind the overtaking car?

Worse still have you ever been overtaking someone who accelerated to make it hard for you.

I really recommend passing with speed in hand rather than trying to accelerate round a car unless you have plenty of road and you are confident the power balance is in your favour.

Whos had some near misses overtaking then? I know I came pretty close once - a dip in the road concealed and oncoming car and I had to cut in pretty quick, thankfully the car I was overtaking braked to let me in. I lost my appetite for overtaking for a while after that one.

yeap ave had a couple where the car in front starts to over take i see its still clear and go right behind them only to find that we litterly are running out of road.

yeah old people are the worst for putting the foot down while someone is overtaking them might help if they put the foot down to start with and kept it there

ive had a near miss like that i was onvertaking on a long sweeping right hand corner so could see for a couple of miles what i couldnt see was the dip in the road. at the time i was driving a old fiesta carb , with no power what so ever, and tryin to over take a wagon had to brake heavily and get back in behind

i'm the one with no power! :lol: jokin'

overtook once and ecountered a hidden dip, i changed down and revved my engine to the maxe to get past. adrenaline was surging when i was getting toward the top of a blind hill :shock:

often down the A614 i don't bother slowing down befor overtaking, as there are plenty of passing points so i just carry on.

a while ago i was overtaking and i knew the car coming toward me (while overtaking) so i tokk my hands off the steering wheel and put on a worried expression. he wasnt impressed. :p

When you have a powerful car this happens pretty infrequently.

There are also so many cars on the road that overtaking opportunities are usually rare in the first place.

The one that does my head in the most is when trucks overtake other trucks on the motorway.
My problem is not the trucks overtaking as some are bound to be faster than others due to weight. What my problem is you then get the middle lane hoggers moving across to the outside lane and insisting on maintaining their 60mph mindset they usually have in the middle lane. What this then does is back up the whole of the motorway and annoy a lot of motorists.

Constantly, try the North Devon link Road (A39/A361). People join the dedicated overtaking lane to pass, hmmm let's say, a pair of goods vehicles doing about 40mph. The overtaking sections are generally uphill.

And they pull out; at 41mph; in 29th gear; and sit beside a lorry for two miles; uphill; then brake and move back in again, at the top; having passed nothing.

Having left me still stuck behind em. I'd have been past the lot in ten seconds even in my relatively modest 528i.

Silly people

Never used to have this problem in the Focus as I could just gun it and no matter what tried to keep me out or stop me getting in, I always managed with ease. Vast amounts of power and torque are always fun and I found the handling and power got me out of a lot of close situations where other drivers had made mistakes. You always get the people that are sore about it, gesturing at you in your rear view mirror but when you've safely completely a maneuver both fast and safely they just get a bee in their bonnet about it. Just because they don't want you in front of them they have a barney, yet once you're round you're gone so it makes no odds to them. Sad really.

Never used to have this problem in the Focus as I could just gun it and no matter what tried to keep me out or stop me getting in, I always managed with ease. Vast amounts of power and torque are always fun and I found the handling and power got me out of a lot of close situations where other drivers had made mistakes. You always get the people that are sore about it, gesturing at you in your rear view mirror but when you've safely completely a maneuver both fast and safely they just get a bee in their bonnet about it. Just because they don't want you in front of them they have a barney, yet once you're round you're gone so it makes no odds to them. Sad really.

I have this several times. I only really overtake on a straight road, only if the car in front is going silly slow, I'll overtake elsewhere. I get a few people flash there lights if I overtake them or swear at me if I do! I just laugh as I see them disappear in my rear view mirror.

The other night I overtook a Jag XJ as he was doing about 35mph in a 60 zone. So straight road and I overtook, nothing hooligan about it at all, just a gentle overtake. This dick clearly saw this as a form of 'challenging his road/badge dominance' and floored it as I was just about to complete the maneuver and ended up doing about 80mph as he tried to prevent it... managed to slip in again, and he stayed so far up my rear I couldn't see his head lights.

For gods sake! Just accept the fact you drive slowly and stop being a poor sport! If you drove to the speed limits, then no one would over take you... Silly Jag driver!

Same goes if I get over taken, I also let go of the accelerator to make it easier on the person over taking.

Exactly mate. Know it all too well sadly. People need to be more courteous but it seems that common courtesy is becoming the rarest of things on the roads these days. I could go on and on about the amount of people on the road and their actions that really boil my piss but this topic will do for now. I just don't understand people, yes, i've gone round you and am now in front of you but it won't be for long and seeing as (it appears at least) you're clearly in no rush to get anywhere then what the hell is your problem? Psssh, people!

I don't mind just cruising along while driving as I have nothing to prove! I do however object to people driving well under the speed limit for no good reason, then and only then do I tickle the throttle and scoot along past them ;)

If they're infront of you in the rightmost lane and they won't move over then you're stuck even with 1000lbft on tap

Common courtsey,knowledge and sense are uncommon now that things are all about me.

Was working at Qld University a few years ago and opened a door for a female and was promptly told that she didn't need a man to do that so I apologized saying " I'm old fashioned and was bought up to do that for a lady Sorry I made a mistake "

Last edited:
Common courtsey,knowledge and sense are uncommon now that things are all about me.

Was working at Qld University a few years ago and opened a door for a female and was promptly told that she didn't need a man to do that so I apologized saying " I'm old fashioned and was bought up to do that for a lady Sorry I made a mistake "

Bit bizarre.. I was always taught to be a gentlemen! :blink:

HDI & T9man that's what I said. I was bought up to be courteous and respectful to others especially the fairer sex.