Running out of oil what about all the cars

thexav

Pro Tuner
Staff member
Car
2002 Clio 172
If there is only 50-80 years of oil left then what will happen to all of the cars?

Will they all be converted to run on a wonder fuel or given electric engine swaps?

What about all the classic and vintage cars? Will their value just vanish overnight?

This is why I don't understand the fuss about global warming. Even if it is for real there's only 80 more years left in which we can do damage.

Surely though the oil price will dramatically spike the nearer to the end of oil we get.

Or course it will. But western governments already apply outrageous fuel duty to what is an essential source of energy.

If anyone at this point was to devise a mechanism by which we could run all road vehicles on a totally renewable source of energy that was plentiful and cheap they'd likely find themselves under attack from the oil producing nations as this would destroy those nations' last 80 years worth of revenue.

I suspect that the treasury would also be keen to see such an innovation banned as the revenue source to the UK government from road fuel duty would disappear overnight.

Whether or not you believe in the global warming theories (and they are just that, theories) isn't it funny that anything that we can do to stop the progress of global warming comes at a price to the consumer. Also, anything we do that does not assist comes at a price.

If the UK govt was to subsidise the purchase of Lexus hybrids to the tune of £40,000 we'd all drive 'em, surely?

if we have not moved on from oil by the time the end nears then their will no doubt be social anarchy and the middle east will try and take over the world - if they've got any oil left. Otherwise it will be the Venezuelans with their cohorts in Cuba.
Suspect the point will never come for the world to actually run dry, we will likely have moved onto other soucres of energy (maybe even cold fusion development) otherwise be prepared, it really will be battle of the strongest!

In my grandfathers day it was all horse and cart. He didn't see the car coming and in just 100 years the car has taken over. What is to say there will not be another revolution like this one. Perhaps we'll just all go back to horse and car.

Hmm. Customising your horse - like the jousting tournaments.
Lowering your horse - shetland ponies
Performance improvement - caffine powered oats and rubber high grip horseshoes.

Perhaps I should start TorqueHorses ASAP and get ready for the next phase.

If we all reverted to equine motive power we'd then be taxed on the methane that the horse farts emit as someone will argue that they do contribute to global warming. Methane, is, allegedly a 'greenhouse' gas.

What the planet savers are forgetting is that if we all became vegetarian then the country would be bereft of animals - sheep, pigs, cows etc.

Those animals are all an essential part of the nitrogen cycle. Without them it would be impossible to maintain a viable means to grow plants. So, then, we'd all starve. Yes, quite possibly the average diurnal temperature would drop by 0.05 of a degree so we could all starve to death in a slightly cooler environment.

I get fed up with the climate campaigners to be honest. They all rely upon ridiculously contrived statistics.

They'll be quick to tell you that the average (dangerous word in itself) temperature east Shropshire has increased by 2 degrees in the last fifty years. Yes, they're right. But that's because the point where the measurements were taken fifty years back was in the middle of nowhere. Between then and now the town of Telford has been built so of course the temperatures have increased at that particular location.

I'm in favour of all sensible measures to reduce dependence on fossil fuels. But we cannot be asked to pay ever exponentially higher prices for those fuels upon which we're dependent. Strangely the cost of 'alternative fuel' cars is still high. Are those fuels alternative enough even?

I truly hope that anyone who campaigns in favour of their low CO2 footprint has NEVER taken an overseas holiday that requires the use of an aircraft.

in 80 years or less we will have another source of energy, so there will be oil left, we just wont use it as much as we do today,

it dosent matter anyway, none of us will be around to see it go