rubber paint

herb

modherbrator
Car
Seat Leon Cupra
just curious has anyone seen a rubber textured paint finish on a cars interior/exterior??

Well i've seen a rubber paint for painting in the lettering on car tyres! is this anything like what you had in mind Herb?

The old tar like underseal used in the in the 70s and 80s was a soluble rubber compound.

Never seen anything like this on exposed bodywork.

Rubber Paint is usually used on sea going vessells on the deck of the ships for the following reasons:

1. It obviously retards rust from the sea air.

2. It works as an anti-skid on the deck, where the boots of the seamen can get get purchase, even when the deck is slick with the spray of the sea water that constantly washes over from the sides.

This is a paint that needs to be applied by a brush, as opposed to being spray, and that too in heavy coats.

It can also be used on the undercarriage, to avoid rust and prevent knicks from flying road debris, and as soundproofing for the road noise.

But as a finish coay on the top-side, its beaten, because you cannot get a gloss from it that so many people desire.

I have also seen it being used on the running-board beam and the bottom part of the doors in usually a contrasting colour, again with a sort of a matt finish.

But thinning it down to a level of a spray-gun and applying it in multiple coats, and then applying a clear coat, would beat the purpose, and provide the finish you would generally be seeking.

Hence, unless you wanna take to the job of painting you buggy with a paintbrush, its better left alone, for use elsewhere than the coach work.

cheers for the replys lads!!!
i was in a bit of a rush when i posted yesterday so i will explain a little further.
basically i have 3 gallon of clear matt anti graffiti paint which is a rubber textured finish. and i am seriously considering doing a matt black respray on my leon and using this agp as the lacquer!!

but i want to do a little research/testing first;)

first of all i would love to find a car painted in this sort of finish! but no luck so far:sad2:

try and find a mk1 leon in matt black this is the best i have found so far
44310060.jpg

do a test sample to test the quality of the finish and durability

so if all pans out this has a very good chance of happening this summer (if we get 1?)

It might look quite cool on a car. The ultimate matt finish!

Waynne please do not even think about this!

Because if you do it on your car there would be others who think its cool, and then a trend would begin, with everyone buying it in gallons and a brush and painting their own cars, this would lead to unemployment, because the paintwork shops would run out of business.

So please do not restrict development of economy.

;) ;) ;)

Last edited:
cheers for the replys lads!!!
i was in a bit of a rush when i posted yesterday so i will explain a little further.
basically i have 3 gallon of clear matt anti graffiti paint which is a rubber textured finish. and i am seriously considering doing a matt black respray on my leon and using this agp as the lacquer!!

but i want to do a little research/testing first;)

first of all i would love to find a car painted in this sort of finish! but no luck so far:sad2:

try and find a mk1 leon in matt black this is the best i have found so far
44310060.jpg

do a test sample to test the quality of the finish and durability

so if all pans out this has a very good chance of happening this summer (if we get 1?)

Well checking the durability is a wise decision, because I have used it, though not for any application similar to your intent, and with my limited experience, I would invite you attention to the point that, being more pliable than regular paint, after some wear and tear you may find some dinks that you will have a hard time getting rid of.

Though I would love to hear of your experience with it.

Never seen a Leon in this finish meself but did see a Punto, where my friend had used Matt Black, in fact simple Black-Board Black, the type they use on School Black-Boards, and then about 8-10 coats of clear lacquer. he even went ahead and blackened the lights and all glass with black tint film, with no chrome showing at all, to make the ultimate stealth car.

The result was that, at angles you would reflection of objects, but perpendicular, you would get almost nothing.

And then when you reached out towards the car to touch the paint you would find that you fingers were stopped before the point where your mind perceived they should, because of the clear coats. Something like candy coat finishes you find on hot rods.

All in all a nice finish, because at night, the lights would come on and define the car, else it would be a glimmer, easily overlooked in a hurry.

Last edited:
Well checking the durability is a wise decision, because I have used it, though not for any application similar to your intent, and with my limited experience, I would invite you attention to the point that, being more pliable than regular paint, after some wear and tear you may find some dinks that you will have a hard time getting rid of.

Though I would love to hear of your experience with it.

Never seen a Leon in this finish meself but did see a Punto, where my friend had used Matt Black, in fact simple Black-Board Black, the type they use on School Black-Boards, and then about 8-10 coats of clear lacquer. he even went ahead and blackened the lights and all glass with black tint film, with no chrome showing at all, to make the ultimate stealth car.

The result was that, at angles you would reflection of objects, but perpendicular, you would get almost nothing.

And then when you reached out towards the car to touch the paint you would find that you fingers were stopped before the point where your mind perceived they should, because of the clear coats. Something like candy coat finishes you find on hot rods.

All in all a nice finish, because at night, the lights would come on and define the car, else it would be a glimmer, easily overlooked in a hurry.

cheers for the input mate much appreciated!!!
i have used this agp paint a few times in the past but on masonry and brickwork (but it is made for all surfaces/finishes)
and i have had to demonstrate its durability and cleaning properties to the clients. and tbh its really an impressive product! cause once fully cured it can withstand alot of abuse so stone chips/dinks i should not need to worry about?
but only the test sample can verify this!
so im going to use my fog light covers cause they are already painted matt black. and being on the front of the car thats where it will get the most abuse.

Get a cheap bonnet from the breakers yard and go for it. :D

Do you spray this stuff on or paint it on?

Get a cheap bonnet from the breakers yard and go for it.

Do you spray this stuff on or paint it on?

bit skint at the minuet so the fog light surrounds will have do

and it can be applied by brush or spray bottle;)

well i cracked on with this yesterday and today
as you can see they get quite a few stone chips so i should get a good idea of durability
DSC00283.jpg
then filled and rubbed down
DSC00284.jpg
how i left them last night
DSC00286.jpg
and 2 pics with 2 coats of agp
DSC00289.jpg
DSC00290.jpg
this time round cause of being such a small area i applied the agp by brush. and tbh its not come out to bad probably 2 brush marks that no 1 will notice unless they get really close

so the plan is now leave them on the car for 2 months to see how the agp holds up. then it will be summer and hopefully i will have a job by then so i can afford the spray paint. then maybe i will have a matt black rubber leon
icon6.gif

Last edited:
the finished job looks nice, well done mate! I love the way matte paint catches the light

does the paint need anything else finishing wise like a lacquer or something?

I can't see any brush marks in it at all, but you being a Painter/Decorator then I would expect that :lol::toung:

Last edited:
the finished job looks nice, well done mate! I love the way matte paint catches the light

does the paint need anything else finishing wise like a lacquer or something?

I can't see any brush marks in it at all, but you being a Painter/Decorator then I would expect that :lol::toung:
Cheers mate:)
This is the finish no lacquer required;)

I heard of someone who painted the whole car in the old rubberised white line paint, The trouble would be you wouldnt know how much rusting is going on underneath. I remember pushing my finger through a mates 2 door jags vinyl roof years ago, the vinyl just holds the rust in place