RSX T-S: Hey Guys I'm a NOOB :) please help on my first turbo build

jmpalmatier

Car
RSX
Hey yall my name is Jeremiah... im from seattle.. i got a rsx type-s ruby red... 100 % stock...115,000miles on her... im in iraq so my pops is driving it... i want to turbo it... make it fast but also a every day driver/college and what not...

my plan is to buy and order everything i need that needs to be bought... and handle all the (in-shop) stuff when i get back from my deployment

i have never turbo'd before and am not to experianced with building a car to be honest... this is the first time:)

im not afraid to spend money but i dont want to spend it all.. haha..

so im hoping that maybe someone can help me.. like give me a checklist of things to buy... and also if its not to much... kind of like a step by step guide to building my rsx to my goal of a fast/everyday'er

thank you for your patients for noobies like me...
i sincerely appreciate it

May I as the site admin wish you a very warm welcome to TorqueCars. It is really nice
to meet you and I hope you'll be spending some time with us over the months to come.
You'll find us one of the friendliest and most helpful car tuning forums around.
What plans do you have for your car? I'm sure we can give you lots of ideas and suggestions if you need any.

Do feel free to chip in on our other topics and discussions, we are all here to share our passion for cars. Being friendly and helpful is a forum rule here and I'm sure you'll fit in just fine.

We get asked this question a lot so have a look at this thread which covers the basics. I have to admire your ambition though!:D And I hope you pull it off.

http://www.torquecars.com/forums/f101/adding-turbo-nasp-engine-15003/
Cheap turbos can be purchased from breakers yards which are ideal for a try it and see type project.:bigsmile:

There is nothing stopping you but the money and hassle will just not be worth the power gain you get. It is better to just buy a better car for your tuning project.:confused:

Adding a turbo is a major engineering task and without a kit with full instructions and all the parts you need there is a big risk of blowing up the engine. Expect to spend 50 hours upwards on a project of this type. This is not the sort of modification you should undertake unless you are mechanically competent and know what you are doing.

It is worth looking at superchargers as these are generally much easier to install than a turbo is.The best mods for a car engine are as follows.

Internal work yields the biggest gains, head work like porting polishing and 3 angle valve jobs will maximise the airflow and raise the power.

If you want to go to the max then cryo treat the block, get it rebored and look into blueprinting and balancing as well.

Bigger valves are an obvious addon but not all engines are suitable as it depends how close together the OEM valves are.

A fast road cam will yield good power gains, especially in the top end of the rev range. Don't go mad though a profile of up to 270 degrees will give the best gains without the engine becoming cammy.

The most popular power mods are induction kits (which are questionable as power mods but they can sound nice if that is your sort of thing) and sports exhausts with sports catalysts or decats.

To keep the car legal I'd recommend a sports catalyst rather than a decat.
The last mod should always be a remap as this will allow you to fully realise the power gains on offer from your mods. Turbo cars respond very well to remaps.

It's worth having a read of the articles on www.torquecars.com/tuning/ for more information on these mods and what the terms mean.

now that is a response i can apprecaite... im all for spending the time and dime on this car... i know some pretty good friends that are in the car show business in seattle so it will be worth it at the end... im not looking for a title taking car on the track or a princess car to only be out of the garage during shows... i just want a all around nice car decently fast... insides modded slightly enough to be able to withstand the beating of a turbo everyday.. like i said im not worried about expenses... i just dont plan on going broke over a car... ha...

im really looking for advice slightly more towards specificly a rsx and what to do to have my WHP gains to tottal up around 350-400 witch shouldnt be hard at all and is perfectly fine for a everyday

i was thinking fullrace or greddy turbo kit leaning towards full race more expensive... but alot more can be done with it

i apologize for not showing proper manners? umm never really talked to people that worked on cars that didnt have enormous sense of humors...

You are coming across in the wrong way. Just because somebody does not answer your question, and instead welcomes you is no reason to disregard their post. This is in introduction section of the forum, not a technical section. Post your questions in the correct section and the help will get to you. I personally do not often check the introduction as I don't have time, the same goes for many other members.

Check your attitude and be thankful that some members actually bother to welcome you.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back