roll cage.

speedy

Torque Junkie
Car
cordoba1.6
im planning on building my own roll cage for track days and the odd race. the thing is i cant find any specifications on what tube size it needs to be and if it needs testing. i was thinking of using 48mm tubing with a wall thickness of 3mm for the main hoop and then 40mm tubing with a wall thickness of 2.5mm for the bracing. i also dont want door braces as it will be a bugger to get out of the car. but do i need them for trackdays. also where would i bolt/weld the frame to the floor and do i need inspection holes aswell? thanks:blink:

look at CAMS rules or simular for the controlling body for motor sports in your country ,
you may need to search compliance rules / specifications for the ruleing body , the info you require is all there . size of tube, wall thickness , construction , number of points , secureing requirement etc

FIA for us, although it doesn't need to be built to their specification just for normal track days, it's highly recommended. Unless you're planning proper competition use you don't need inspection holes, door bars or even a cage at all.

im planning on doing the odd competition when fuands allow. where would i get the fia rule book from. would it be in whsmiths or some ting like that?

You can apply for your race license from the MSA... a google search will give you the web site. and you can apply for the "go racing pack. It will contain the "blue book" which has all the regulations in it.