Road Tax

cars are tax exempt before 1st january 1973
had to have a quick look myself cause i thought it was 1975 but wanted to be sure;)

but its funny cause the tax exempt on vehicles over 25 years rumor was around when i was 17 ,15 years ago funny how these myths hang around

on the same subject: if, for example, you shoehorned and sierra cosworth engine into a fiesta 1.1l had understood that the road tax would only be charged based on the 1.1l fiesta as the originally registered car?

Does anyone know if this is correct? or if it differs depending on the age of the car?

No it is based on the CC of the engine so an engine swap requires that you notify DVLA, get the V5 changed over and then You'll be paying the higher tax.

I wonder what happens with modern CO2 rated engines going into older CC banded cars?

in ireland its 25 years, its then a classic
you have still have to pay 48 euros a year for tax

It's a bit wierd on some cars though,
for example, a completely standard 306 gti6 must pass an emissions test on an mot and the only way to do that is using some sort of cat in the exhaust,

I know people who have put the 306 gti6 engine in there 205 (most of them have e,f,g reg cars) and they aren't running a cat and they go to the testing station (without a cat) and pass, why is that? They have declared all there mods and engine swaps so why are they still tested as a non cat 205? I thought the test was based on what engine it has rather than the car