Results

aswearing

Torque Master
Car
Micra 160sr
do mechanics know that us young students have no cash?

after a diagnostics test, i need a new e.g.r valve £200 quoted and a crank shaft sensor £40 quoted. then labor on top.

what a nice way to start my saturday morning. does anyone reckon i can get this price slashed? by say £230 :D guess its time to take a chance with the srappers. :(

Whats an EGR valve? Also I would take this up with the guy that sold you the car clearly this fault existed when it was sold so you might be able to get him to do the work or contribute.

couple of week, when i took the car for a test drive (this slipped my mind recently) i noticed the engine warning light was on, and on my previous car it was also. i asked why it was on and he told me the mass air flow had been replaced and when the sensors are taken off the car doesn't know its back to normal which is true and said he'd sort it (he did...).

however the state that i found the bulb in had obviously been tampered with, the only other place the car went to was the mot garage and i doubt they are that corrupt :rolleyes: so it has to be that garage. going to ring tomorrow and enquire as to why the bulb has been damaged.

and i suspect he will be in a lot of trouble (legally) so i won't be too threatening, however i will want the problem correcting. and some mats.

:lol:

E.G.R valve is used to introduce exhaust gases into the intake air stream, its temp. controlled and submersed in fluid which makes it awkward and expensive. comes up as fault code P1405 (actual value voltage high/low or open circuit) and this is sending the incorrect rmp signal.

i looked into trying to lube it up :shock: (behave) which can in some cases repair it apparently but knowing my luck its buggered.

theres too many friggin' valves and sensors too go wrong on this car

OK, DON'T spend any money on the car! Take it back to where you bought it, and staying calm, tell the guy EXACTLY what you have told us on here. Tell him about the light on the test drive, tell him what explanation you were given for the light being on. Then tell him that you found the light disconnected and when you re-connected it, the EML was still on. DON'T tell him you know why it is on. If he starts lying to you (I bet top dollar he does), then tell him you know what he is saying is not quite right (try not to call him a liar), and you have had it checked and you know exactly why the light is on. (at this point he will probably get funny with you but you need to remain calm, polite and focused on what you want and need from this guy) Now you want to very calmly go through the motions about local press, trading standards etc. Point out that you would rather just have your car fixed and forget about the matter, but if you need to take steps you will.

I work in a main dealership and deal with salesmen on a regular basis about issues with sold cars, and they will do everything they can to avoid paying for repair bills. Last week I got asked if I thought a car with tyres that were very out of shape was safe and would I drive it if it was mine. :shock: I also quite often hear "is there any way round it"

you could be my solicitor... thats a VERY big help and thanks alot, during the mot checks they test rear fog light on instrument panel aswel as the ABS so if the engine light doesn't come on to start with surely the tester should pick up on this? i test drove the car before the mot and as i posted it failed on the retest due to the handbrake being slightly loose, now is that the truth or is that related?

is it so hard to have a car that works? :D i shall be cautious to see what happens and i shall keep you posted. and thank you fingers for your help its very much appreciated :D

i know but i thought that the tester when looking at the instrument panel that he would have caught it :( o well thats the way it goes i suppose :D

spoke to the garage owner and it seemed very shift, like he knew we'd ring up one day. and when i explained i had a diagnostics test he said "bring it back and we'll sort it" straight away didn't hesitate or even ask what the problem was.

i told him that it would be costly and stated the price and still wanted me to bring the car back. so very hesitantly indeed i'm taking the car back in the morning, hopefully to be ready the following day. with an egr valve fitted and crankshaft sensor. oh and a new EML bulb :D .

he uses another garage for repairs and when i asked for the name and number he wouldn't give it to me, but i guess that there is noo garage and he's shifting the blame. when i do get my car back i'll take it for another test to make sure everything is a ok.

thankyou fingers for your wisdom, it certainly got me somewhere! :D

So many people out there just try it on! Sometimes they get away with it but they know never to cross a Torquecars member :wink:

:lol: turned out okay in the end (i hope...)

if i werent that sort of person who like to dismantle things when bored, i would have never known... :shock:

evenmore news: the part that was supposed to have been sent never arrived, and the cars healthe is deteriorating; choppy idle, petrol being guzzled, more hesitation and a flatspot you wouldnt believe. i've checked the things i can reach, but i need a mechanic for the rest. oh and the exhaust has gone.

and like i said im not sure whether the egr valve was changed so i'm taking legal action to recupe my losses. (sounds really harsh and seriously was the last resort, but major inconvenience and being taken for the longest ride just pushed me over the edge.)

its not the way i intended for this to go but the garage he sends it to may be doing more damage than good, it seems very shady so i'm using a reputable local mechanic who is brilliant.

i know its a stretch but im going to try to get him to pay for the repairs, its very cheeky and i don't mind spending money myself as i know any repairs being done are done properly (plus when i get my car back i won't have bits missing!)