Removing the Starter

VegaObscura

Car
Mustang
I'm not particularly car savvy. I just acquired a 1992 Pontiac Grand Am that won't turn over. It has a new battery. All the lights come on. I want to remove the starter and test it by connecting it straight to the battery to see if it turns, but I have no idea how to get it off. Can someone tell me how to get the starter off?

Nope. The car is so old and worn out I'm sure there are several problems causing it not to start. I'm not so much concerned with finding the problem as much as seeing which parts work and which ones don't. Right now I just need to find out how to get the starter off.

have not done one on a grand am but if they are the same as the trans am's there is only 2 bolts holding it on

under the car next to the engine sump you will see the starter and two 1/2in bolts (i think there are 1/2) undo them and the wiring then ready to test

but remember to take the earth cable off the battery before you start dont want no sparks

what cc is the grand am
if its only a 4 pot thing it will be at the back of the engine

ya will be 3 bolts i think
can do it all from under the hood

if its the engine i am thinking about

as its the same engine as are vauxhall cavaliers as them gm motors went in a lot

if fact i changed a starter on a cavalier the other day and was only a 20 min job and did it out side in the cold