Recomending First Car :)

Jim

Torque Junkie
Well for my first car i was hoping to get a saxo (or 306) what kind of recommendations do you guys have? Obviously no more than a 1.2 engine because insurance would just be crazy. I would want something moddable though, really to make it mine.

The Saxo is lighter than a 306 so would be my best bet. Also being lighter you will notice more of an improvement in the power and handling of any modifications you add.

Mmh didnt know that one. Sounds good, what kind of price range you think i should be aiming for? 600-700? Maybe 800-900?

For a first car - spend as little as possible - you have a high chance of pranging it unfortunatly. When you have some no claims bonus you can get bigger engined cars. It is tough starting out but a little patience means you can have something really cool at 21 instead of waiting till you are 25! :wink:

I'm here; I'M HEEEEEEREE!!

Hehe! For a first car, I'd go for a Saxo.. It's smaller than a 306, and lighter as everyone has said.. They can look really cool, and if you are interested in that kind of thing, you can pick up VTR and VTS bodykits (standard ones, not gashtastic) as well as alloy wheels quite cheap..

In terms of tuning a 1.1, I wouldn't bother.. If you wanted to make it a bit more pokey you could strip it right out.. You can quite easily get them down to 900kg's or less.

Dispite being French, I've had no real problems with reliability (touches wood), just look for one which seems to have been cared for..

They are also dirt cheap now :)

Ok mate, found one at 600 quid! Should do '97 reg, 1.1 engine. Insurance is like 2grand or the best part of it though :(. Need to find some cheap car insrance some where.

Check for limited mileage discounts, garaged or driveway at night discounts, alarm & Immobiliser discounts if you are going for theft cover and ask for introductory discounts and if you get a pushy salesman just say NO I THINK I CAN GET IT CHEAPER WITH..... and often times they will shave a bit more off the premium.

Possibly (i dont have a licence yet)
Oh and i found a cheaper car insurer from confused.com, its quin-direct and they give me £1322 for a 1.0l saxo reged at 2000. :D Third patry FT.

just one other tip i know of to lowering your insurance is to do pass pluss its well worth it if you go with the right insurers for example it halfed my first premium from 1400 to 700 on a citroen ax 1.1

On that insurance company i tried two insurance quotes, one with pass + and one without. It only knocked off about £130. Which is less than pass plus actually costs.

my insurance is with direct line for a 1.2 punto with alloys and tinted windows and lowered and it came out at 1500, but i put my dad on the policy and because he has more than 4 years no claims the quote dropped too 700, i then found out that my mum works for the royal bank of scotland which owns direct lines and i got a fmaily discount that lowered it to 550 a year. so find out what it would be with a family memeber on the same policy. hope this helps mate.

Just a word of warning on insurance fronting - if you are not careful you can find that you are not covered properly.

Insuring in your parents name and using their no claims bonus means that you never build up no claims bonus - you also need to ensure that you are covered for being the main driver and that it covers you for driving to work as most policies say the policyholder or policyholders spouse is covered for driving to a permenant place of work!

Adding a parent to your policy as Luigi Punto suggests is fine as long as it is your policy and not theirs.

waynne is right my parents are on my policy and i gain my own no claims and all the other benefits. if i crash this does not effect my parents.

Thats cool, so If I go on my dads insurance I can build up noclaims bonus. Is there a catch though?

technically you shouldnt be driving the car more than them, else you would be the MAIN DRIVER.

CITROEN AX,
Very light, very cheap, cheap to repair.

CIS do an anydriver policy inc under 25's, get your parents to ask them about it. Not tooo sure if its still available.

Please watch this on my YouTube channel & Subscribe.

Back